Talk me out of a 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Backstory: I have an 80 series and my wife has a 2016 4runner. She doesn't really like the 4runner so we are thinking about trading it in on a 1999 100 series.

The way I see it:

Good points:
No car payment (we have enough trade in value for the Land Cruiser
Full time 4WD something my wife wants
Well documented weak points and write-ups on solutions

Bad points:
We will be trading a vehicle with 20K for one with 191K
No traction control
Worse gas milage

So what do you folks think?

Cheers,
Scot

None of these newer Toyota vehicles feel quite the same as the older models 1990-2005ish

I feel like they put too much emphasis on gadgets these days and not enough on build quality and solid feel. We took a 2017 GX460 on a little trip a couple of months ago that my brother had as a loaner car and we took it through some back roads, a little mud and hills, etc. Great vehicle but felt cramped inside and didn't ride quite like a 100 series (it was more bouncy and jerky) although 100% rattle free (it did only have 1,000 miles on the odo).

I like a big car feel so I always feel more at home in something like 100 series vs. a 4Runner.

None of these SUVs are race cars so nimble handling and quick acceleration is the last item on my criteria list.

I feel the same way. Another concern we have with the 4runner is future maintenance. Toyota already had a recall on the transfer case and we think it might be going out again. Oh and the paint sucks.

Do not trade in the 4 Runner....SALE it. Get a Land Cruiser whether its the '99 your looking at or another. Perhaps a newer model.

Talk you out of a 18yr old truck with a crappy sound system, bad mpg, cracked leather, worn carpet, out dated transmission and needing a ton of work?
Never.
No car payment is always the best way to go.

Do not trade in the 4 Runner....SALE it. Get a Land Cruiser whether its the '99 your looking at or another. Perhaps a newer model.
Normally I would 100% agree with you and we might go that route. However, we are considering the 1-2k penalty in the name of convenience:meh: For those of you with 100's is the 99 a good year to have?

Dealerships love you guys, changing your mind after 20k Miles, sure you have money in the 4Runner but how much will you have lost. I’d just keep the 4Runner to be honest, it’s a capable vehicle and very comfortable to drive. Unless money is an issue and you cannot afford payments anymore, then take a loss and trade it in.

Worst part is the gas mileage. Nothing else is a concern to me. However, it would be good to make sure she is on board since there will be some maintenance things here and there along the way. If you have a reasonable expectation of maintenance then you will fall in love with it. We have family up there in Great Falls too, and these rigs are good for Montana roads and give my wife and I a better feeling of safety considering it's size.

Mine is a 98' and I am happy with it. There are other benefits to other years if you wanted to be patient to find something different. I personally prefer the 98' & 99' for the optional rear locker. Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

Last edited:
Money isn't an issue, but it will be out of warranty in a year and I think repair will be (based on what we've seen. Also it is essentially useless on snowy/icy roads due to the 2WD / 4WD set-up (for some reason my 90's 4runners were much better in 2WD). We've driven it for 2 years and current trade-in is 3K less than we paid so financial loss isn't too bad.

My wife thought I was crazy buying an almost 14 year old SUV with 100k miles. But, 2 years later, it’s proven to be a great vehicle. We pack our 4 kids and loads of stuff in it and hit the road — I’ve put almost 40k on it in 2 years. These is nothing like a Land Cruiser — they are so solid. Terrible gas mileage, but everything else is worth it. Mines an ‘04.

@Bigsky80, as long as your wife is okay driving an older vehicle and you're okay with the upkeep of another aging Cruiser, I think it's a great idea.

Regarding the '99 specifically, only downside I see is that it was the last year for the 2 pinion front differential. If your wife is anything like mine, this would be a non-issue.

Good luck

My 2 cents.

We looked at new 4runners for about 3 months, the trd trail pro, premium, etc.

Every one I talked to told us to just buy a new one because the residual on a 2-3 yr old one was so good it didn't make sense. Recommended to just spend the extra $3.5k on new one with a full warranty vs the buying one with 30k miles and limited warranty. They hold their value.

So what did we do?

We passed on the 4Runner and bought a 2nd Land Cruiser!

Yep. My wife drives an 05 LX470 and I drive an 03 TLC. Wouldn't change my mind if I could.

Good luck.

I've had 2 1999s....my current 99 has 235K miles. My brother had a 1999 LX470 and now has a 2005 LX470...he wishes he'd kept the 1999 over the 2005.

I've had no major mechanical issues in 130K miles of ownership and I'm perfectly happy to not have the NAV.

My brother lives in Colorado Springs and dislikes the 5-speed transmission of the 2005 at altitude, the NAV and the automatic/rain sensing wipers.

If the 4runner is paid off, you may as well keep it for a few years and enjoy that new vehicle warranty.

If you are making loan "payments" on the 4runner, the choice is easy. Private party sale!

Always better to own your vehicles and not be a slave to the lender. Maintenance on a 100 series will be nowhere near as expensive as your loan payment, and I bet you'll enjoy the 100 series a lot more.

However, with all of the extra money in your budget, you will be tempted to mod it... be careful, as that can be a slippery slope!

Go for it, and enjoy. At 191k there will be a few maintenance items to address no doubt, but all the info is here on Mud. It's a personal decision as to how much you put into it, and some of us spend more than needed.

I'm on year 15 of ownership in my '99- was just sharing with my family while cruising around town today that we'll need to have a 300k celebration next month. Never thought I'd enjoy this vehicle this long. Wife just picked up a beautiful Acura MDX last month, she loves it, yet I couldn't wait to get back in my cruiser after driving the MDX for a few days. Whenever I drive something new and shiny, I can't wait to shed it and get back into the cruiser. I'm not sure my friends' with Porsches, Audis, BMWs etc. understand, but they are amazed at the durability and the fact everything still functions the same as the day it rolled off the ship. Cheers!:beer:

My brother lives in Colorado Springs and dislikes the 5-speed transmission of the 2005 at altitude, the NAV and the automatic/rain sensing wipers.

Interesting. I would think that a 5 speed would be way better at altitude. The 4 speed in my 80 seems to be missing a gear. Not for the top end but to blend better in the middle.

99 does not have VSC, which I think is a great thing to have on a 100. These things are big and heavy and sideways behavior is unpredictable with a heavy truck with high COG and lots of sidewall, etc - VSC can correct a snowy over-correction (in a curve for example) and that's when it shines. Basically straightens you right out before things get messy. A Scandinavian flick in a well balanced sports car is fun, in a 100 I find you never know how it will end up. VSC doesn't allow it, and that's a good thing.

I have a 99 and an 06 and I prefer the emergency behavior of the 06. (VSC came in earlier, maybe 00-01?). That and side airbags etc make the later models compelling IMO.

As much as I love me an LC, if somebody offered me to trade my 99LC for their 16 4Runner I would be driving the 4Runner yesterday. Stock 4Runner suspension is heinous but that's just a few grand in suspension upgrades and you have something nice.

Edit: thread title is talk me out of a 100, so besides what I said above: if money isn't an issue then you are crazy to be looking at a 99LC to substitute a 16 4Runner. If paying 1-2k for "convenience" is just that, then again why a 99. As legendary as the Landcruiser is, that's almost 20 years old. Pay a few grand more for an 03+ and you get some real valid updates. I don't have money to spare so I have a 99. If that weren't the case no way in heck I would have it, despite my love for the LC. I would have an 03+, then an 06+ 100, then an 08+ 200, in order of money I had to spare. I would never look back.

Now that I think about your post, you can probably get a 2011 LC for your 4Runner money, and if your wife doesn't like that I would seriously reconsider your relationship

Last edited:
99 does not have VSC, which I think is a great thing to have on a 100.

I agree with this. My 98’s behavior on slick conditions isn’t as predictable as my 94 was but I learned to use the center diff lock switch to help bring back more control in those conditions. It brings back controllable oversteer vs understeer w/o it engaged.

BTW, gas mileage is overrated.

For instance, just say you drive 15,000 miles per year. At 13.5 mpg, and at $2.20 per gal, that’s $2,444 per year. At 18 mpg in the 4 runner that’s $1833 per year.

Driving anything and keeping $611 can’t be worth more than driving a Land Cruiser. Purchase price, reliability, durability, safety, size, weight, full time 4WD, small cost of ownership, peace of mind, lack of lemonness, etc, etc. if that’s not worth lots more than $611 then you are in the wrong vehicle genre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom