Talk me into it. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I drive a FJ-62 and love the heck out of it. The wife drives a honda and needs to upgrade to something with a third row. I found a 2000 100 series with 73000 miles for $14,000. Now my FJ-62 is a 20yr old vehicle that has and will continue to take a good chunk of change to get it where I want it. I can't have her car bleeding me dry also. So for you 100 series owners what type of money am I going to need to put into a 100 series from the get go. I'm not talking bumpers and lift just the maintenance items. This vehicle is going to be hers for running the kids around and then we may do the long vacations in it. I want the cruiser and she'll let me go that route but if it turns into money pit she wont let me hear the end of it. So lets here it is this the right rig for the application?

Well, you'll be looking at the 90k service in a bit, that's spendy. About $400 in parts, the service can run ~$1,500 if you have it done entirely at a dealership. Other than that, it all depends on how the PO took care of it.

yeah pretty much the 90K service. Everything else i've done was for fun, well besides the starter at 130K and 150K, o2 sensor at 150K, serpentine belt at 150K and filling it up with gas every other day....

The price should be lower. The LC reminds of the old turbo diesel benzes, super reliable but if something does break, it is expensive to fix however most of the time they just keep going. Some of the 00's had a batch of bad trannies, I would ask if this one has had the tranny replaced.

The 90k service has to be done. I would ask them to lower the price to 12 or 12.5 in consideration for the service coming up or if it is at a dealership get them to complete the service with water pump replacement prior to delivery.

73k miles for $14k...I think that's a more than fair price. After the 90k service, you'd be good to go for a long time.

Over here in east Tennessee the dealers charge around $400 for the timing belt replacement. They quoted me around $750 for the whole thing including water pump, pulley seals, etc on my LC.

Down in Florida I paid $1200 for the same service on my 4Runner V8.

yup, except for the 90K service, I don't think the 100 is fundamentally more difficult or expensive to maintain than most other LCs. But it'll drive a tad smoother than a 62... :)

Hi, for someone who just picked up their first Land Cruiser this past weekend, I can tell you first hand you don't need to be "talked into" buying a Land Cruiser. All you need to do is see one in person, test drive it, and it's over.

$14K sounds like a smokin' deal for a 2000 LC w/73k (in CA at least).

I just got my 2002 LC w/117k for $14500 and that was already less than auction price and way less than bluebook.

Mine was only 1-owner and he had replaced the tranny right before he traded it in, I think I saw on the maintenance report that it was around $2500. I think he traded it in because of the repair estimate he got. He paid $70k for the LC and they only gave him $10k for the trade in. That sucks.

I have high hopes that I don't encounter any issues with my LC other than some piddly things that go out on most vehicles. Good thing I paid for an extra 24k mile drivetrain warranty. I'm hoping to get a few 100k out of this LC seeing how it is the Toyota "Flagship" vehicle IMO. Toyota has a great reputation, that's why I own 3 and the majority of family/friends buy Toyotas as well.

Over here in east Tennessee the dealers charge around $400 for the timing belt replacement. They quoted me around $750 for the whole thing including water pump, pulley seals, etc on my LC.

Down in Florida I paid $1200 for the same service on my 4Runner V8.

Mtnracer - live here in Knoxville too. I have found that the 90K services are pretty reasonable. ProToy is a pretty good outfit. Regards.

I second the "go drive it" suggestion. I bought my '99 in April of '07. My wife drove it twice, and five months later, we owned an '03 loaded with all the goodies. She loves her Cruiser, I love mine.

The second row air is NICE for the kids in the summer. I love my 80 but the 100 is much more comfortable on long trips.

Mtnracer - live here in Knoxville too. I have found that the 90K services are pretty reasonable. ProToy is a pretty good outfit. Regards.

Cool - a fellow enthusiast. Do you ever go off roading around here?

Dude, $14k is a very fair price for that mileage if it's in good shape.

So some shmuck (maybe a fellow mud member) flew in from california and bought the cruiser out from under me. So option 2 is a 2002 100 series with 100,000 miles that has had the 90k service done, he wants $17,800. Should I jump on this one?

2 years 'newer' , 23,000 miles 'older', 3,000 more dollars . . . think about it....

Find one with lower mileage....Remember a plane ticket is dirt cheap to places such as phoenix, LA, Bay area, etc. They are all cheap right now. Watch ebay for a few weeks. Also remember there were 2x as many LX's sold as 100's.

Find one with lower mileage....Remember a plane ticket is dirt cheap to places such as phoenix, LA, Bay area, etc. They are all cheap right now. Watch ebay for a few weeks. Also remember there were 2x as many LX's sold as 100's.
Really?? i didnt know more LX's were sold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom