Talk me down...or up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Never been a fan of the LX CLadding.

Never been a fan of buying used cars from a dealer (unless I have a personal relationship with them).

If I’m buying a vehicle from a dealer and it has known issues that are as simple as a battery and O2 sensor and they haven’t fixed them, I run away. No way ins million years would a reputable dealer put a vehicle in their lot with a CEL and dead battery.

Be patient. Take up @LINUS offer of help. Buy an actual Land Cruiser without all the floofy cladding.

Definitely should not feel like a brick on jello.

Yeah, they are a big car, definitely not a sports car, but if the front end is tight, you should be able to drive confidently with 2 fingers on the wheel. Should not be a nerve wracking ride. May be as simple as loose wheel bearings, May be more to it.

The lx looks likely that it's all original underneath/front end. Black springs and shocks?

Given age, and miles, I'd factor in cost of doing the following in fairly short order.

- full knuckle rebuild, including tie rod ends, trunions, knuckle studs. Also consider new rotors and caliper rebuild.
-new springs and shocks, and steering damper
- new bushes in the suspension, radius arms, panhard rod
(Most of this can be done by a competent shade tree mechanic over a couple of weekends, if you have tools and somewhere to work)

Chugging smoke on start up, and empty overflow bottle is a red flag for me.
If it needs major engine work, it's going to be $$$ and time of the road even if you can tackle it yourself

Yeah I was worried about that - does it point to anything in particular? Wondering if I should still get it inspected and potentially make a low offer or whether I'm unlikely to learn much.

I've driven bigger cars but this one was particularly soft. It wasn't alignment either, just felt loose.

Thanks for all the comments - I am definitely expanding the search radius!

does it point to anything in particular?

Sure. It could be any or all of the following (in my order of preference)

- lift with no/not enough caster correction
- worn or cracked radius arm bushings
- loose front wheel bearings
- worn tie rod ends
- worn out shocks
- worn or cracked panhard bushings

Also,
- worn trunion bearings
- worn steering box
- worn rag joint on the steering shaft
- cracked chassis where the steering box bolts to the frame

Most, fairly easily checked, easier still if you or a buddy are well acquainted with the underside of an 80

Sure. It could be any or all of the following (in my order of preference)

Thank you! Looks like it got cut off but I was actually talking about the smoke at start-up and empty overflow. I feel more comfortable taking a risk on steering/suspension components but I'm getting the feeling I should keep looking. It takes little effort to fix an O2 sensor and that's probably an indication of the quality of the lot.

Having read the previous posts, and as an 80 owner and mechanic I can only reiterate what has been submitted, but will add my thoughts.

The 80 is a big (by European standards) vehicle but should not feel heavy, the variable assistance valve in the steering if working correctly should be a fingertip affair when driving slowly, they often stick if the vehicle has sat around a lot and a change of fluid will often sort that issue, or the steering stabiliser may be seized?

The clouds of smoke and low expansion tank as above is a concern, and the leak which may be an oil leak, could in fact be coolant. I often see what looks like an oil leak is actually from the cooling system, the water evaporates from the coolant once it is on the floor, the glycol left behind leaves an oily residue, so perhaps a leaky rad bringing us nicely around to a possibly overheated motor and the head gasket thoughts mentioned above?

First impressions if generally good will sell a car, this one with leaks, bad battery, CEL, smoke clouds and so forth give me just one impression. The dealer has got so little money tied up in it he is not worried if it moves or not, and is probably using an overly enthusiastic market to sell it.

Always a worry for me as a mechanic, being asked to check out a potential purchase I spend a considerable amount of time doing the inspection. I then find in rare cases a client will probably purchase the car even if declared a pig, the reality is their heart is ruling their wallet, and fine they pay me money to put it right and are soon concerned as the bill starts to go up.

To summarise, I would drive some other examples and given the trouble getting a mechanic to look at this vehicle, along with your imposed week break keeping you away from the purchase, is someone trying to tell you something?

Regards

Dave.

Last edited:
Having read the previous posts, and as an 80 owner and mechanic I can only reiterate what has been submitted., but will add my thoughts.

The 80 is a big (by European standards) vehicle but should not feel heavy, the variable assistance valve in the steering if working correctly should be a fingertip affair when driving slowly, they often stick if the vehicle has sat around a lot and a change of fluid will often sort that issue, or the steering stabiliser may be seized?

The clouds of smoke and low expansion tank as above is a concern, and the leak which may be an oil leak, could in fact be coolant. I often see what looks like an oil leak is actually from the cooling system, the water evaporates from the coolant once it is on the floor, the glycol left behind leaves an oily residue, so perhaps a leaky rad bringing us nicely around to a possibly overheated motor and the head gasket thoughts mentioned above?

First impressions if generally good will sell a car, this onecwith leaks, bad battery, CEL, smoke clouds and so forth give me just one impression. The dealer has got so little money tied up in it he is not worried if it moves or not, and is probably using an overly enthusiastic market to sell it.

Always a worry for me as a mechanic, being asked to check out a potential purchase I spend a considerable amount of time doing the inspection. I then find in rare cases a client will probably purchase the car, the reality is their heart is ruling their wallet, and fine they pay me money to put it right and are soon concerned as the bill starts to go up.

To summarise, I would drive some other examples and given the trouble getting a mechanic to look at this vehicle, along with your imposed week break keeping you away from the purchase, is someone trying to tell you something?

Regards

Dave.

Very much appreciated, Dave. I'm putting this one to rest and hoping some more prospects show up. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom