Tales,Trails and Trials of a (wet) Dream Machine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe tomorrow. Fall back I have a brand new group 31 on the bench ready to install. The $#-%@+ thing weighs way to much to be carrying around in the pig not to mention just picking it up to put it on the bench.

happy with the weight difference.
yes not looking forward to lifting acid battery off the bench. They seem to get heavier every day

Pre cooled the refer and partially fill with eats. Will do produce shopping tomorrow. FedEx has not showed with charger :(so this afternoon will install acid battery. Planning a Monday departure:bounce:

Next on the 70 is to drop the fuel tank and get a leak repair. Strange place, on the top of the tank there's a small dent that caused a puncture???

My '71 junkyard pig had dented top-tank with a crack in it. I believe it was caused by excessive vacuum and pressure that flexed and bent the tank. Recall that FJ60/2s were recalled for tank cracking/pressure issues.

Last edited:
Had to repair a crack in my original ‘73 tank that was in the indentation around the sending unit. That weld held just fine for years but the tank later started leaking from the seam below the fill inlet. Replaced with another tank prior to the Pig Party this year.

So an AC compressor parts mystery may be solved
8 years ago I sent my AC compressor back East for repair ( at the time that’s who I found to do it???). The puzzle was why Bosch parts were listed on the bill. At the time I was just glad to get a working compressor.

Now I have do it again. I find Ben‘s A/C shop an hour and 15 min away. I give him a call and text photos. He says the phrase “Bosch long body”???

I take it down to Ben, he looks at it, disappears for a minute and comes back with the exact same compressor and says it a Bosch compressor that was used on 1969 thru 1971 on BMW’s. Go figure. He said he may need to call Texas for some parts but he’ll have it ready in a week.

I won’t hold my breath but will cross my fingers. Gave him the compressor that JT was kind enough to part with. That way pig will not be immobile till I get the working compressor back.

C6FF55FD-80E2-415D-B278-FF23E4779F1A.jpeg
964B8B25-F3DE-4244-91FD-0A85574E71F6.jpeg
287CDB35-1C77-4D1C-AA80-44AC157A0643.jpeg

I know there’s is an A/C thread somewhere but I have no idea how to navigate this outstanding software. It took me more then half an hour to find my build thread.

Here is some more compressor facts for future reference. I completely forgot that I hand this supplement

1BB0D641-44CF-4AB2-BC24-6EAE9B1D4D14.jpeg

My compressor is the. CC6DA Type

A7705DD2-FB20-4AF0-ADD1-A07E47D3BEEC.jpeg

Wow, I didn't know they made a manual for a/c.
$20 from SOR if you want one..........plus probably $50 to ship. :rolleyes:

So I attacked the Auxiliary battery issue today. For the pig party i had a brand new Interstate group 31 deep cycle auxiliary battery. It made it through each
night but was down by 75%. By the end of 3 weeks it doesn’t hold a charge. I haven’t had it tested yet. Maybe my fridge is having problems, I don’t know.

Today I replaced it with a lithium from Battleborn. The process meant that I had to install a DC to DC charger. The way this process works is that the charger detects when the engine is running and charges the lithium battery from the starter battery.

The engine bay is to hot for this charger to live there and operate. I installed it in the rear cargo area where the solar controller and other auxiliary power plus are. I had to do a bit of re-wiring but it wasn’t to bad.

in the process i ran a diff breather hose in the rear quarter. It’s at about 4” above ground level. Don’t plan on fording anything 4” anytime soon. I but one in front before PP21 to guarantee no water in my front elocker.

497B9117-D15A-4662-BF76-008A163C99CD.jpeg
147EEE78-BD86-487A-B85A-EF73F6BFA937.jpeg
CC44F8D4-083C-4B02-BAE2-4E80DCB88C3C.jpeg
DBA43755-F233-4C86-BD22-FA1853492374.jpeg
46A64B20-E7A3-4F31-9313-C813D4C1DD8C.jpeg
8E9F8B2A-8BEB-4AA7-8CE3-0BEE74F1AE53.jpeg

Any time you take a lead acid below 50% you run the risk of permanent damage. Thats one of the many pluses the lifepo4 has.

well I’ve driven it quite a bit this weekend and according to the Bluetooth app that talks to the charger things are working properly and it hasn’t burned to the ground.

so time to but the refer (not the inhale kind ) back in the pig and light it up to see how it performs.

Well ordered a monitor to connect to the lithium system that gives me more information as to the system status i.e. amps the refer is drawing how long the charge will last at that rate and some other bits of info.

It seemed like the refer was drawing more that it should. I chatted this up with a friend who’s very experienced in the electrical world and his first comment was, is the refer getting enough cool air at the compressor? I have always made sure that nothing was obstructing the ventilation area but the things that are stacked around may work as a shroud and trap the hot air around it. Will study my packing further.

Dogs needed a ride in their pig so went for a sunset drive looking over Ojai Valley
572C8C33-EC92-4341-B0C5-78495568465D.jpeg

So Ben, my A/C repair shop man is under the weather but he is anxious to finish the repair. I told him his health is more important to me then a compressor.
Cross my fingers he gets well soon.

Received the lithium battery monitor component and did an install. Haven’t figured out the actual monitor but the Bluetooth to phone application gives me
7C8D4B10-AC33-4254-A717-5268163F3C9A.jpeg
91EDCD2D-B740-4A3A-BA6E-E9E28A08B255.png
the data that I was hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom