taking top of doors off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have some 72 hard doors and I am trying to clean them up. I wanted to take the top half off but it kept catching on something. I took out all 6 screws and unbolted the wing window pivot. Am I missing anything. Is there some trick to getting them off? Thanks.

I'm not sure but you may need to take the window regulator
out first. If the frame is not rocking a bit, you may still be stuck
to the bottom of the door. I am working on 4 of these doors just
now. Fun.

I did take the window regulator out. The top would come up a half inch. I felt around in the door and didn't feel anything snaging on the window channels. Good luck with your doors. Thanks.
Chase

ah yes, you need to get the wing window in just the right spot, there is a stoper that keeps the wing from opening to far, this need to line up. Open it so it stick out at a 90 deg angle, that should get you close.

John H :rolleyes:

btw, the stoper is inside the door, right where it pivots, if you look in the access hole you should see it......

Damn I thought that might be the problem. I opened the window but not to 90 deg. Oh well, I'll go out and take another try at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

[quote author=red66toy link=board=1;threadid=6208;start=msg49930#msg49930 date=1065920949]
Damn I thought that might be the problem. I opened the window but not to 90 deg. Oh well, I'll go out and take another try at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.
[/quote]

won't sware it's 90deg, so just move the vent around while pulling up, it will come out.........eventally :D

So how many bolts/screws did you break off taking them apart? ;)

John H

I havn't broken any so far (knock on wood). Everyone has come out, some needed more help than others. I havn't tackled the other door yet so that one may be another story. :p

if the frame moves up about an inch, you've got all the bolts. you don't have to remove the wing window, just rotate it open (all the way in, iirc, but if you pull the plug, you can see when to stop). then, you have to pry the door slightly at the rear wing window bar to clear a piece that's welded to the channel (to tap for the bolt). there is another one farther down on the rear channel.

taking top of doors off -- how about those cracked welds

Not to hijaak this thread but I just finished completely restoring
one of these old doors (new paint, new hardware, new weatherstripping ...)
and I just noticed that the weld is cracked where the vent window
rests. It's really to late to re-weld -- I've got the whole thing painted
and beautiful. Am I in for trouble. The door is solid with no other signs
of metal fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom