Taking the top off my 76 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many of us on this site, I have a sickness! Currently sitting in the driveway are my 1976 fj40, (2) 1988 fj62, 1995 fzj80, 2004 hundy, and the wife’s GX 470. I’m gonna take the top of the 40 and would like options/opinions on how to fill the back space left from the ambulance doors. Tailgate? Best place to purchase? Thanks!
9704FEA1-1293-4D72-BC94-267DAC6319EB.jpeg

I’m gonna take the top of the 40 and would like options/opinions on how to fill the back space left from the ambulance doors. Tailgate? Best place to purchase? Thanks!

Easiest is just to buy or make a flat plate with tabs on it that take bolts into the lower amby door hinge mounts in the tub and into the amby door lower striker plate mount in the tub. That's what I run, but I can't find a good photo that shows it because it's covered by the spare and rear basket. Here's one where you can see part of it behind the spare:

IMG_0910.JPG

Not sure where to buy a simple cheap one. Spector sells a fancy stamped one, but it's $425! :oops:

Land Cruiser Rear Swing Out Door 1958-1974 40 Series

You have a lot of choices to fill the opening. The more expense options would be an actual re-pop functional tail gate made by realsteel or buy a used stk tailgate. You would also have to source hinges and latches to make it work, plus drill some holes in the tub. Reel steel also makes a panel that bolts in that looks stk but is not functional. Gozzard and some other companies makes something similar. Aqualu makes a working tailgate also but is not stk looking. There are several companies like Ccot that makes a bolt in panel too. I personally made my own out of diamond plate aluminum. I did it a little different, I didn't remove the hinges from the tub but left them attached to the tub and ubolted the the door and drilled coresponding holes from the hinges into my panel. On my street 40, I'll be getting realsteel's working tailgate and sourcing hinges and latches, because it will be driven mostly topless. I'll also be altering the amby doors to work with the drop down tailgate.

Last edited:
On my '78, I cut a piece of plywood, painted it with the OEM color, and attached it with screws through the original door hinges, which I left attached to the tub. Nearly free in cost, and since I only run for a few weeks with the top off, I don't need a fancier solution. The plywood also doesn't scratch anything around it, as a metal plate might. I also screwed the license plate holder to the plywood and grounded the light so that it would work.

real steel makes functional as well as non functional tail gates...the non functional version use tabs that align with the hinge mounting points on the tub.

20160213_110923.jpg

20200211_183315.jpg

SOR also sells a stationary steel panel in black for $138.

I’ve considered this option, but I’m liking Steve’s wood panel more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom