Taking the plunge into FJ40s (what do I need to look for and avoid) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Personally, I would pass on all 3 of those you posted. Diamond plate is usually a sign of covering up rust/rot. I would seriously run from that first green one.

Well, I will say it..why an FJ40? I know how we “lock” on a certain types of trucks, but I would be looking at mid 80- 90 Broncos or similar.

FJ40s are expensive to buy and to enhance. It’s kind of late in the game to buy these for under 10k and bang them around.

Not saying you shouldn’t by an FJ40, just that they are expensive and they suck you in & can bleed you dry $$$.

I mean, once you drive one, there is no turning back. It is always so exciting. All the switches work and are satisfying, you can feel the vibrations from the engine, you get priceless looks, you get a big old steering wheel that is like driving the school bus as a kid, it feels amazing. Smile every time I drive a forty. Fixing them can be fun too. You can learn so much about vehicles, and the community is amazing. Drive one and you will see what I mean.

Well, I will say it..why an FJ40? I know how we “lock” on a certain types of trucks, but I would be looking at mid 80- 90 Broncos or similar.

FJ40s are expensive to buy and to enhance. It’s kind of late in the game to buy these for under 10k and bang them around.

Not saying you shouldn’t by an FJ40, just that they are expensive and they suck you in & can bleed you dry $$$.
Have you priced Broncos lately? At least in my area they are considerably more expensive than 40s. But yet a running good looking FJ40 is more rare.

Have you priced Broncos lately? At least in my area they are considerably more expensive than 40s. But yet a running good looking FJ40 is more rare.
Blasphemy! Haha

I think the expensive Broncos are not the ones he mentioned. He said 80’s-90’s. It’s the first gens that get the big bucks.

This might help.... memories they make.

Last edited:
Well I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a 76 FJ40 with some pretty heavy mods, In a few weeks it will be mine..
145832446_10224926148881668_8475206702618430694_o (2).jpg

Well I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a 76 FJ40 with some pretty heavy mods, In a few weeks it will be mine.. View attachment 2631906
You should start a built thread to let us keep up with what you do with it and where you take it. Looks awesome! What engine does it have?

You should start a built thread to let us keep up with what you do with it and where you take it. Looks awesome! What engine does it have?
302 SB Chevy. Its up on 36s right now with an OME spring over lift. It was a rock crawler out in Colorado at some time that made its way to the South

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom