Taking the hard path '71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So back in March of 2020 I picked up this '71 FJ40. The next day California locked down for Covid and it was 6 months before I could even transfer the title as the DMV was pretty much unprepared for this (or really anything.....).

Anyways, it had sat for quite a few years and was pretty sorry to see. Had a small block Chevy, TH350 automatic, stock 3spd tcase and axles, saginaw power steering. Barely ran, didn't stop. I ran it around the block a few times then started to tear into it.

As it came home (upside down bezel and all):
IMG_20200314_163545.jpg

Swapped to disc brakes all around:
IMG_20200330_202924.jpeg

IMG_20200418_165937.jpeg

Picked up a winch, bumper and new shoes:
PXL_20201218_233808993.jpg

PXL_20210217_233800692.jpg

Didn't have to drive it that long to recall how much I hate automatics. So started looking at options for a manual trans. Wanted an overdrive at which point everyone pretty much goes NV4500 or H55 but that would be too easy.

I've had a bunch of jeeps over the years and for something thats not going to be a hard core offroader, the AX15 is really nice to live with. It has a decent 1st gear, is lighter and better shifting than an NV4500, bolts up easily to a Chevy motor and is still in production so you can easily get parts or even a brand new unit if needed. As a note, it shares its lineage with the Toyota R series transmission (also built by Aisin) so not that out of place in the FJ.

Only downside is that no one makes an adapter from AX15 to the Toyota Tcase. That presents some challenges, but also the opportunity to move to a stronger option with better aftermarket support. So Dana 300 it is. Will require a center rear axle and new parking brake setup but aside from that it fits in the vehicle nicely.

New transmission:
PXL_20210821_021900502.jpg

Bolted up:

PXL_20210905_211122657.jpg

PXL_20211005_013647740.jpg

The poor old trans tunnel cover had seen better days:

PXL_20211009_231953855.jpg

PXL_20211024_184835274.jpg

So thats where we sit. Drivetrain is in, working on the tunnel cover. For now going to toss in an 8" rear to work with the center tcase output. Get that bolted up, new driveshafts, bit of exhaust work and should be in business. Definitely not the simplest path but should have a fun vehicle with a unique drivetrain when done. Will keep this updated as I get closer to having it on the road.

Last edited:
My kind of build! Extremely similar to my situation but my 72 came with an SM465. Need to do valve stem seals and likely will go Sniper as well, while I'm in there ya know. Where'd you put your coolant temp and 02 sensors?

My kind of build! Extremely similar to my situation but my 72 came with an SM465. Need to do valve stem seals and likely will go Sniper as well, while I'm in there ya know. Where'd you put your coolant temp and 02 sensors?
O2 sensor is drivers side, just before the Y pipe. Sniper instructions are pretty specific on where they want it. Coolant is in the stock location passenger side block. Sniper coolant harness isn't long enough, had to get an extension. Think its designed to go into the intake manifold but that wasn't going to work with my setup.

You might want to checkout this thread. He did sbc,ax15 swap.

You might want to checkout this thread. He did sbc,ax15 swap.

Very cool. Well at least I'm not the only one crazy enough to try it. Actually a pretty simple swap. New transmission crossmember and centered rear end are the worst of it. I have enough other projects that this is taking me forever but could probably knock it out in a long weekend if you were really prepared.

I centered an FJ40 rear end using a mini truck axles and housing tubes. I run a SBC,SM420, Dana 20 t/case in my trail rig. The 40 rear had a detriot locker, 4.88 gears and discs so it was the most economical solution. There are write ups in FAQ's I think, or search for a mini-
LC hybrid centered rear or something like that. It's not a real difficult mod.

I centered an FJ40 rear end using a mini truck axles and housing tubes. I run a SBC,SM420, Dana 20 t/case in my trail rig. The 40 rear had a detriot locker, 4.88 gears and discs so it was the most economical solution. There are write ups in FAQ's I think, or search for a mini-
LC hybrid centered rear or something like that. It's not a real difficult mod.
I thought about doing a hybrid rear end but at that point I'd just have something custom built. For now, the 8" will serve my needs just fine. Not a hard core offroader, mostly fire roads and such.

Got it out of the garage today. Just a quick trip around the block since the exhaust still isn't hooked up. But new transmission/tcase worked perfectly so thats great.

Sniper EFI wasn't particularly happy. The load profile between the automatic and manual transmission are a lot different so suspect it will need to relearn. Died a few times at lower RPM.

Tomorrow will start buttoning things up. Finished up the changes on the transmission cover yesterday, will grab a picture of that once I get it installed. Then need fix the exhaust. But finish line is in sight!

Trans tunnel cover is in. Still need to put the shift boot on, shift knob and bolt up the tcase shifters.

tunnel.jpg

New transmission works fantastic. Took it out on the freeway today for a bit and was butter smooth at 70. Need to figure out why I have no return to center in the steering. Caster is good, steering box doesn't have any excessive play, will need to mess with it a bit. Other than that I'm really happy with where it is right now. Will try to get some video out on the road soon.

Played with it a bit more this afternoon. Unfortunately not enough room to use the JB tcase shift boots. Will fab something simple up eventually. Transmission shift knob should be here next week.

tunnel2.jpeg

Also got the exhaust hooked back up. Had to cut out the mid section when I rebuilt the crossmember. Just need a clamp on the one last pipe and will be good to go.

exhaust.jpeg

Steering in this thing has always been iffy. If you tried to turn while parked, it works fine with the engine off, but once the PS pump fires up the steering locks up unless you are moving. Like actually prevents you from moving the wheel. Unknown yet if that is related to the lack of return to center but one thing at a time.

Decided to pull the PS pump and do a quick rebuild, figured for $10 taking it apart and replacing all the seals couldn't hurt. Well, this is what I found upon disassembly....guess a seal kit aint gonna do it. Hopefully this will fix at least the lack of steering power while stopped. Entirely possible it was impacting return to center functions as well but we'll see.

pump.jpeg

Got the power steering pump replaced, works much better now. Been driving around town a whole bunch and the new transmission works really well.

Got bored today and decided to start replacing the rocker panels. Started on drivers side, which is the better of the two. The rocker was a mess but floor is in pretty good shape. Passenger side will be more....fun.

PXL_20220313_234801114.jpg

Also pulled the bezel off and gave it a fresh coat of paint for s***s and grins.

PXL_20220314_010612437.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom