Taking it apart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1980 FJ40
I have the tub off!
A couple of questions.

I'm getting ready to remove the engine...
Can I remove the engine,transmission, and transfer at one time without tearing anything up? Should I support the transmission and transfer in anyway?

The PO apparently tried to tow something real heavy.. The rear cross member is bent real bad ( I'll try to get some pics later). So the PO welded a big piece of angle on the back.. I want to replace the rear cross member. Anything that I should watch out for? I have seen replacement pieces on line some where. I think cruiser soultions or something like that. Is just bolting the cross member back in OK?

Thanks

WIth an adequate hoist or engine crane, you should have no problem pulling all 3 at the same time. Try to keep your hoist point as rearward as possible to keep the assemble from becoming unbalanced.

As far as the twisted-up x-member, I would try to get a stock one and just replace your damaged one. With all the V-8's out there and tranny/TC swaps, you should have no problem finding one.

Thanks... I probably didn't explain the rear cross member good enough. The piece I'm talking about is the one with the tail lights in it.

Capt. Jim said:
As far as the twisted-up x-member, I would try to get a stock one and just replace your damaged one. With all the V-8's out there and tranny/TC swaps, you should have no problem finding one.

Don't quite follow the last part of this...

There was a time no so long ago, that you could get the rear frame piece new from Toyota...I would look into this, or try and find a replacement from one of the many vendors that deal with clean used parts... I would also replace all rivets with grade 8 bolts, but I would also weld this in some areas, as the bolts will loosen up over time, even with metal locking nuts.

Good luck!

-Steve

It can be done.....and it's really heavy especially if you have the 2f engine. Sometimes going this route is so much easier.

I'm not sure who would have something like that would be used or new for that matter....may want to try marksoffroad.net or cruiserparts.net or mudrak.com or tlca.org and look under businesses. Cruiser solutions is the only vendor I can think of the makes them from scratch.

Thanks.. I'll get the loader ready to remove the engine..transfer and transmission......
I didn't even think about looking around for a used rear cross member... Glad I asked here first! Might be cheaper too...hope hope!

Sorry, thought you were talking about the tranny cross-member support, not the rear frame cross member.

Perhaps look for someone parting out a truck with a bad frame, but a good rear member. It is riveted in place, and you would probably have to weld the replacement onto your truck, which would tend to stiffen your frame somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom