1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking a squat

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by TRFCSUX, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TRFCSUX

TRFCSUX Wasn't me

Hello everyone,after hours and hours of reading and learning and learning and reading i have decided to buy some billies and some 285 bfg's.The last question i have is if i put a boat trailer(pretty heavy boat trailer)on the back of my rig is it going to squat enough to rub the 285's?? Thanx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  2. dclee

dclee

I don't think 285s can rub under any conditions. But if you think your boat will drop the rear of your truck enough to worry about it, then you might want to look into airbags or something (not for rubbing, but for handling).

3. NMuzj100

NMuzj100

You may need a drop hitch to make the boat trailer ride level. If the balance on the trailer is right and the weight on the hitch stays under 500lbs I don't think you'll have problems.

All my tows have been light (<3000lbs trailer weight) so hopefully someone with more towing experiance will add a bit.

4. e9999

e9999 You want to do what...? Moderator

put 500 lbs worth of relatives on the tow hitch and measure...?

5. Travis351

Travis351

I have BFG 285 and frequently hit the bump stops without any rubbing. You should be fine.

6. TRFCSUX

TRFCSUX Wasn't me

Thank you for input

Don't have 500lbs of family,but get the idea.I guess air bags would do it but don't really like that option.Performance products sells 1in springs for 80 series (progressive rate)might work on 100 ?.Should just call Christo and buy ome and be done with it:cool:

7. jditom

jditom

Just get a equalizing hitch and it will always be level.

8. EdsCruisin

EdsCruisin

NMuzj100 is correct. The amount of sag on your rig is directly related to the distribution of weight on the trailer and what is packed in your truck. Sometimes placing the hitch ball at the correct height off the ground is all you need to ride level and stable.

Too low will be too heavy, too high will be light and possibly "lifting" which will lead to loss of control. The load equalizing hitch is an effective measure for varied conditions, but still must be at the right height.