Tailshaft noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a vibration/rattle coming from my tailshaft especially when it starts to labour. It has gradually got worse over the years. The yoke has some play and would account for some of the noise. When I pump it full of grease it quietens it down for up to a week. Doesn't stop it though. There appears to be no play in the universal joints. So I have a few questions.

1. What grease is everyone using in the yoke?

2. What grease is everyone using in their Uni joints?

3.Anyone else experienced this and if so what was the diagnosis?

4. Is it possible that the unis are shot even though there is no play in them? Dont want to change them out if they are fine.

Hi
My manual calls for Lithium base chassis grease (NlGI No. 2) for all propshaft components. But I always use MoS2 grease on the u-joints.
When it comes to the sliding yoke, the vital part of the answer is 'little'...
The yoke must never be pumped full of grease as it this prevents the yoke from sliding in. The greas doesn't compress and fills all flex room.
The yoke not sliding in causes excessive pressure and hits on transfercase output shaft, pinion and diff and will break those sooner than later.
Better stop that practice!

If the yoke has play, it also wobbles and causes vibrations, as you experience.

U-joins may be shot due to grooves in the sliding surface. You can feel that by hand when having them out and turning them by hand. But at that stage you can also put in new ones.
I guess, your propshaft is due for a full rebuild and balancing (or replacement). Yoke and balancing is a job for an expert shop.
Better face that truth and do it soon. Propshaft vibrations can cause all sorts of costly trouble in gearbox and diffs.
Good luck Ralf

If it is definitely not the u-joints and the yolk has that much play (should be tight but able to slide in and out by hand) then I would not mess around, replace. Vibration over a long period of time will first wreck your seals, then bearings, etc, etc compounding the problem.

If they are u-joints, they are a fairly simple swap as sodafeld1 mentioned. All the best working this out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom