Taillight circuit short to ground- what am I missing? Update (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on a new-to-me 1973. I've been fixing a lot of PO *&^%$%&*@@W!$%! Current problem---I've less than 1 ohm from the taillight output (1 clink) of the light switch to ground and taking out the fuse. The switch itself is not internally shorted. I've removed: entire harness going to rear from the driver's floor area, light switch, combination meter, and front marker lights. The Coolerman schematics for the 72-73 do not exactly match what I have. Before I reluctantly cut open the harness under the dash to trace the wire, can anyone suggest what else may be on that circuit. I realize I may eventually find more PO crap, but is there some light on the dash in that circuit I have missed?

Thanks

So meaning somewhere you have a direct short to ground.(?) Have you checked all the usual suspects first? I could get out my Haynes manual and post pics for what it shows for a 73 wiring diagram.
First “click” of the switch should be tail lights, rear side markers (equipped on a 73?) front side markers, grill markers (again ?), dash instrument lights. I’d check the biggest most obvious first and narrow it down from there. Look for wires rubbing on a sharp corner or retainer finger.

From Haynes

A5518C87-4397-4F9D-AFCD-68586269CB69.jpeg

Disconnected entire rear harness and front marker lights. What dash instrument lights? Not aware of those.

Thanks

For your speed-o and gauges.
Have you looked at the pass-throughs? Are the harnesses inside grommets? Should be one on the driver side for the front driver lights. The harness crosses under the dash to the passenger side where it splits, part going to the front passenger, and the other part going to all the rear lights. Is this where you separated the rear harness? In the area of the passenger floorboard/firewall.(?)

Pretty straightforward wiring for the aforementioned lights. Green wire comes off the switch and supplies the voltage for all those circuits. Where it splits and feeds the gauges it turns to red with black stripe. Where it splits and feeds the lights for the speed-o , same thing. The wiring for the front marker lights changes from green to red with white stripe.

I disconnected front marker lights out at lights. It's possible circuit wire has missing insulation somewhere, I'll start following them today. Anything else under dash?

Thank you,

Sorry just reread your post. I disconnected harness going to rear on driver's floor. I have not followed it to witness it cross firewall at passenger side. That's where I'll start today.

Found and removed more PO wires under dash between aftermarket radio and glove box. No longer shorted to ground and no longer taking out any fuses. Retest of headlights indicates OK. Cannot retest tail lights yet as the harness was completely hacked. There was so much going on--it was a mess.

I have pulled the harness and am waiting for shipment of pins and connectors so I can rebuild tail harness. Hopefully, I can move forward in a few days.

Thanks for the help and the tip to look on the passenger side!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom