Tailight won’t turn off. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I’m stumped.

So a few days ago, I came out and saw that the tiny corner bulb of my tail lights stay on constantly even after I turned off all the lights and lock the vehicle. I pulled off the tail lights and I thought maybe I could remove that bulb but it looks like it might be a non removable led inside the lens. Both sides are constant on. It doesn’t seem to be draining the battery much but does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Tail lights and blinker lights aren’t affected, just that small corner. After I lock it, it gets brighter after a few minutes and stay on that way all night.

I tried unplugging the battery as well and pulled all the fuses in the engine bay to see if anything might have triggered it. Couldn’t find anything.

Thanks in advance!
Jonathan

8ED095A7-7070-43BD-B19E-A7BF6CDBB8E0.jpeg

If your car has been in the rain you may have a leak with water causing a short at the connections behind the kick panels. Have you noticed a water pooling on or a damp floor mat? There are a few threads on Mud about it with how to access them.

Water in Passenger footwell - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/water-in-passenger-footwell.1308738/

Stereo not working after big rainstorm - needs time to dry - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stereo-not-working-after-big-rainstorm-needs-time-to-dry.1305874/#post-14895926

If your car has been in the rain you may have a leak with water causing a short at the connections behind the kick panels. Have you noticed a water pooling on or a damp floor mat? There are a few threads on Mud about it with how to access them.

Water in Passenger footwell - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/water-in-passenger-footwell.1308738/

Stereo not working after big rainstorm - needs time to dry - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/stereo-not-working-after-big-rainstorm-needs-time-to-dry.1305874/#post-14895926
My roof was leaking a month ago and the passenger Pilar was damp. It’s been fixed but I’ll check that again. Thank you.

Would the problem go away after it dries ?

Depends on whether it was wet long enough to corrode any of the connector terminals.

You'll need to open the area and look for water. Even then, if it's dry and the light behavior remains you should open the connectors on that side and inspect for corrosion.

That green stuff left behind is conductive and often causes problems after drying, in my experience. I had seat heater lights stay on and I’m assuming that a very low amperage circuit through the green (cupric salts?) was the culprit.

That green stuff left behind is conductive and often causes problems after drying, in my experience. I had seat heater lights stay on and I’m assuming that a very low amperage circuit through the green (cupric salts?) was the culprit.
How did you fix the problem, my seat heater light flashes sometimes too even when it’s on the off position.

Not sounding good.
Take your a pillar panels off and get out the hose, run water all over the top, sunroof all over and look for water on both sides.
If you see water, find the leak and fix it.
Then start fixing the issues it’s caused.
Most likely the big connectors in the foot wells but also check the fuse panels inside.
Dry out and clean and treat with your favorite products.

Search my posts in related threads.
I’ve linked to some good YouTube videos about these leaking trucks.

How did you fix the problem, my seat heater light flashes sometimes too even when it’s on the off position.
I got every “contact cleaner” I could find and cleaned up the footwell connectors with a toothbrush. One thing I learned is to not put it off because it won’t heal itself but only get worse. After removing as much of the green corrosion as I could I brushed on a skim of dielectric grease in an attempt to stop a completion of “stray” circuits, now and in the future.

Not sounding good.
Take your a pillar panels off and get out the hose, run water all over the top, sunroof all over and look for water on both sides.
If you see water, find the leak and fix it.
Then start fixing the issues it’s caused.
Most likely the big connectors in the foot wells but also check the fuse panels inside.
Dry out and clean and treat with your favorite products.

Search my posts in related threads.
I’ve linked to some good YouTube videos about these leaking trucks
I got every “contact cleaner” I could find and cleaned up the footwell connectors with a toothbrush. One thing I learned is to not put it off because it won’t heal itself but only get worse. After removing as much of the green corrosion as I could I brushed on a skim of dielectric grease in an attempt to stop a completion of “stray” circuits, now and in the future.
Good news. The issue just went away on its own. lol. I have no idea what happened. I’ll keep note of your advice in case it comes up again. Thank you !

Good news. The issue just went away on its own. lol. I have no idea what happened. I’ll keep note of your advice in case it comes up again. Thank you !
I would absolutely still dig into the kick panel to look for corrosion before assuming things are really fixed. If it takes root there you are looking at an expensive and difficult repair.

Gremlins don't go away on their own, just sleeping.
Will wake up again next car wash or rain.

Don’t make the mistake that I did and think that you don’t have to fix the root cause. The corrosion is the symptom but the water ingress is the disease, find and fix the leak. Don’t give up on it because it will become that gopher in Caddyshack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom