Tailgates (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a consensus as to which tailgate panel is the best? Specter Off-Road, CCOT, Others?

They're all the same, doesn't really matter. I'd go for the cheapest and closest.

If you are talking about a tail gate for when your ambie doors are removed then I would have to agree with Texx, however if you need to replace your factory drop down tail gate that is another story. My FJ40 is a Factory Soft Top (FST) and such came with a drop down tail gate and since it is a 1974 it was rusted out. I purchased one form Real Steal, not bad...the only problem was that they did not use adjustable nut plates for the latches and thus have caused me some issues. CCOT has one that is supposed to be an absolute direct replacement for the OEM Drop Down Tail Gate, adjustable nut plates and all.

Good Luck!

Corey:grinpimp:

If you are talking about a tail gate for when your ambie doors are removed then I would have to agree with Texx, however if you need to replace your factory drop down tail gate that is another story. My FJ40 is a Factory Soft Top (FST) and such came with a drop down tail gate and since it is a 1974 it was rusted out. I purchased one form Real Steal, not bad...the only problem was that they did not use adjustable nut plates for the latches and thus have caused me some issues. CCOT has one that is supposed to be an absolute direct replacement for the OEM Drop Down Tail Gate, adjustable nut plates and all.

Good Luck!

Corey:grinpimp:

Will you post a link to the Real Steal ones?

I just bought a brand new Banderainte tailgate from TLC4x4 for $325.

Kind of high but different look with ToYoTA stamped into tailgate.

Post up a couple pictures!

:beer:

I'll try to make this work from my iPhone

Picture is not mine but a fellow murder.

Mine is identical (brand new in primer).

Sorry, it's not going to work apparently. Will try again when I get home. My flight from Miami to Louisville.

I was referring to the replacement tailgates for when the ambi doors are not being used. Anyone else have an opinion?

Are the fabrication options that much better than what CCOT and others sell?

I just looked up the Real Steel ones and they are really cool. They are bolt-in like the flat panels that CCOT sells but they are stamped to look like OEM. Very cool. $250 is a bit heavy, but the look is much better than a flat piece of steel.

picture

Picture is not mine but a fellow mudder.

Mine is identical (brand new in primer).

Sorry, it's not going to work apparently. Will try again when I get home. My flight from Miami to Louisville.

picture attached
mail.jpg

Here's a closeup of Randy's gate. Looks like he removed the latches on the gate and made original dropgate hinges work by extending out the hooks.

I'll be building a rig around my tailgate.....................so I'll probably do something different.
IMG_0109.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom