Tailgate Weather Stripping Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new piece of OEM tailgate weather stripping. The piece I took off, in addition to being cracked and torn, looks like it had been removed & replaced prior. So my questions are:

1. At what location do I start/end the new rubber? The piece I took off started/ended in the middle at the bottom (see picture).

2. The new and old pieces have little square cutouts in the lip (see picture). Are these significant?

3. The tubing is easily squished, except for two sections about 6" long that feel kind of solid. One section is about 36" from one end, and the other is about 40" from the other end. What is the purpose of these?
IMG_0518.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg

anyone?

I realize that people from the midwest/NE are thinking "weather stripping? I wish I had a rust-free tailgate". And yes I am obsessive. But could someone who has the original weather stripping in their truck, tell me where the seam is?

I changed mine a few months ago; The gap originally was more or less dead center at the bottom, but the [OEM]replacement strip gap sits a few inches to the left of center. The hardened sections I placed under the upper few inches of the bottom gate where it closes against the body. I started at the top and worked down both sides...ended up having to reposition a couple times to locate the hard sections symmetrically. Does this make sense? Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom