Tailgate support hardware (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried searching but can't find anything. I have had issues on both of my 80 series with the tailgate supports coming loose. I am not talking about the lift struts for the top, I am referring to the supports on the bottom half. I managed to find replacements for all the little spacers and bushings at the local hardware store last time they started coming loose and put it all back together with no problems. Unfortunately it came loose again and this time I lost the bolt. The bolt is a very specific bolt and according to my local dealer Mr. T only sells the entire support with all the hardware as a complete unit for more than I want to pay for 1 bolt.

I am wondering if anyone else has solved this issue? Perhaps there is an aftermarket tailgate support available? I am thinking if I can't find a bolt or solution than I am just going to use some regular bolts and a piece of cable in place of the Toyota support. Kind of like a pickup tailgate.
Thanks for any suggestions
16076265223762681881451206637384.jpg

Go to your local boneyard or contact one of the forum members that sell used parts.

Wits' End (@NLXTACY) sells a nice stainless steel hardware kit for the rear hatch. Isn't exactly the same but should work. I have them sitting in my garage for a future install.

I can't offer any help on fixing a damaged tailgate. Only the advice to anyone else reading this that pulling yours out and adding some blue loctite is a good idea. I was lucky enough to catch mine loosening up a long time ago before any damage occurred.

Wits' End (@NLXTACY) sells a nice stainless steel hardware kit for the rear hatch. Isn't exactly the same but should work. I have them sitting in my garage for a future install.

Awesome, I checked his website and didnt see them, but I will check again. I like wits end -@NLXTACY but I get tired of searching through multiple pages of product to find what I want. Maybe it is just user error on my part but I feel like his site could be better organized.

I can't offer any help on fixing a damaged tailgate. Only the advice to anyone else reading this that pulling yours out and adding some blue loctite is a good idea. I was lucky enough to catch mine loosening up a long time ago before any damage occurred.

Its not damaged yet.... also, might as well make it red loctite. I replaced the bushings/washers on mine a few months and reinstalled with blue. They still came loose.... Next time I am going with red.

Last edited:
Hi, This did happen on one side of our 80. The threaded insert wore out . I just put a nylon nut on a longer bolt and repaired it. Mike

Hi, This did happen on one side of our 80. The threaded insert wore out . I just put a nylon nut on a longer bolt and repaired it. Mike

That could be my problem because the blue locktite didn't hold.

The more I think about it I want to do something different than OEM. This tailgate support design seems a little silly because it requires so many bushings/washers and they wear out and become loose. I will be doing some work on the rig today and I have to go to the hardware store. I will post up later if I figure something out.

They way I did it is a little stiff, but my wife can open and close it. Mike

Well I got lucky and had stuff in the garage. I didn't even have to go to the store. Here is my solution, keep it simple.....
20201211_120639.jpg

20201211_115506.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom