Tailgate project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy all, I am looking for some pictures and or ideas on how to integrate the OEM tailgate into my 1980 ambulance door FJ40 as a solution for when the top is off. I'm putting an OEM soft top on it as well and like the functional tailgate instead of bolting up a panel. I don't mind putting some extra holes in the tub to make this happen but would like to minimize it as much as possible.

I've been able to source all the OEM hardware and am purchasing a new tailgate from realsteel but am obviously going to have to do some work to get it all to work out. I am going to move the license plate mount/lights to the right side of the tailgate (because of the spare tire) and rework the latch hook to utilize the OEM lower ambulance door hinge holes. Has anyone done this before and have pictures of how they did it as well as how they ran the license plate wires through the tailgate? Any advice and or pictures would be of great help, thanks!

Good links, thank you! I dig the spare tire catch integration into the middle hinge. I'm still curious as to how to run the wire for the license plate lights cleanly.

I just filled-in the stock hole in the tub for the license plate wiring, drilled a new hole, and ran the license plate wiring down the tailgate chain. I could have used the original wiring hole, but it made more sense for the wiring to exit the tub above the pivot point of the chain. I also built a sliding cover for the wiring so that it wouldn't get abused by dragging stuff over it all the time.

The integration of the tire carrier latch into the hinge was necessitated by lengthening the tire carrier and moving the spare tire inboard. Before I moved the tire location, it would get hung up on trees along the trail.

Good links, thank you! I dig the spare tire catch integration into the middle hinge. I'm still curious as to how to run the wire for the license plate lights cleanly.
Tailgate wiring.jpg

Cleanest way to run the wires is the stock tailgate way. Using the earlier license plate holder it hide the wire pretty well on the outside. straight down and then thru a small hole with a grommet in the sill. This way it's not in the way when the tailgate is laying flat and you sitting or what to slide something across the tailgate.

Thanks a ton, It looks like I will be doing something similar and thank you for the picture. Did you just drill a hole behind the bracket and grommet it just like on the original ambulance door?

I zoomed in on the picture of the tailgate on ebay right now and see the original wire routing out the bottom of the bracket now. I was curious as to how that worked.

Two holes, just like the ambulance door. I also connected a ground wire to the chain mount to ensure that the lights always have a good ground connection.

Did you just drill a hole behind the bracket and grommet it just like on the original ambulance door?
Tailgate 1.jpg
Tailgate 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom