Wanted Tailgate motor gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pigeaten

GOLD Star
Threads
opened motor for Ornch today, this is what I found, anybody doing brass?, SOR is out, maybe time to have machine shop do a bunch!

IMG_2390.jpg

I'd be in, whatever type Chuck/1970 would need.

I'd be in, whatever type Chuck/1970 would need.

You won't know for certain which type you need unless you open the assembly. The replacement gearsets came with the mating shaft and as long as the shaft and gear matches then it will work for any year (pretty certain this is correct). So the one for a 1970 might or might not be currently installed in yours. Just FYI.

Last edited:
You won't know for certain which type you need unless you open the assembly. The replacement gearsets came with the mating shaft and as long as the shaft and gear matches then it will work for any year (pretty certain this is correct). So the one for a 1970 might or might not be currently installed in your. Just FYI.
In that case, @Pigeaten I'll sign on for one of each. I'll pass along the other to some poor soul down the line.

Just opened my motor. What a pain to open the tailgate without the glass down. No fun pulling the regulator out while inside the Cruiser. My gear broke in four pieces.

Has anybody found a source for replacement gears? If so I would love to have one.

Window Gear.jpg

Just opened my motor. What a pain to open the tailgate without the glass down. No fun pulling the regulator out while inside the Cruiser. My gear broke in four pieces.

Has anybody found a source for replacement gears? If so I would love to have one.

View attachment 2395399
im working on this, looking for a shop to make these in brass, as soon as i get them done i will announce

you know you could have removed the metal tange piece between the glass and regulator and dropped the glass to lower the tailgate.

Ok, got one type coming, need the other also-you will get it back, plus a new one in brass

which type do you need? I remember I opened my spare motors and 1 was still good, I don't think I sold it, I think I still have it.

which type do you need? I remember I opened my spare motors and 1 was still good, I don't think I sold it, I think I still have it.
I have the one in above picture of broken gear, need other

I have the one in above picture of broken gear, need other
ok, so I should be packing for Pig Party, but ADD kicked in and I started pulling another rear window motor apart, i had never seen one like this, so I proceed, the elusive other type! If you have seen this let me know this is other/later type?
IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2412.jpg
Anybody?

IMG_2413.jpg

I think what you have there is a PO modification. I had that type in my '77 but without the metal ring which I am almost positive is not OEM. I'll dig up a pic that I have of a side by side comparison of the two types and post.

88141D7B-694C-4669-9CE9-E78859B87280.jpeg

99F7844C-F25A-4BFA-9E15-E0A0E2005B1E.jpeg

Last edited:
My opinion, FWIW, is the one with the metal insert is the later type and the one you just pulled is the first type. No real evidence other than the metal insert looks like an attempt to improve the design. I am pretty sure, having bought one NOS example in packaging, that the replacement gears were only sold with a matching shaft which made them backward and forward compatible with the motor assembly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom