TAILGATE LOWERING HELPER SPRING (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where can I get a torsion bar "spring" that wedges between the lower tailgate and the body? This eliminates the heaviness of the tailgate as it lowers. (I have a "Wagon Gear" tail gate lid
wagongear.com » 60 Series Tailgate Lids
so my tailgate is much heavier than stock due to the gear stored in the tailgate.)

I have seen an 80 with such a torsion bar type spring wedged between the lowest part of the tailgate and the body. I think it came from another name brand of vehicle.

Ideas?

Dunno. But the newer Silverados have that feature, but I think it's more of a torsion bar, not a spring. Maybe check those.

It's doubtful (I'd say certain) that the hinge mounting location on the sheet metal of the tail gate isn't strong enough to be able to take all that leveraged force from a torsion bar somehow shoehorned into the hinge of an overloaded tailgate.
It would be a matter of time, maybe not long, before the tailgate became deformed at the torsion hinge- or whatever springy thing was installed (on a 60 tailgate). It's likely that new trucks that have this feature have reinforcement inside the tailgate.

It's not a gym thing that is lacking.

I've seen it successfully installed in an 80.

I have the 200 hinge and dampner ordered and should be here in early January. No doubt it will need some mod as the 200 hinge and the 60 hinge have different bolt patterns from what I can tell from my measurements on my 200 tailgate. But always game to make a new product and give my machinists a new project to make.

I'll report back as soon as I can.

The 100 series has a bar set up as well that might work. I will be installing my tailgate lid on the 100 in a few days as well.

Jason

If anyone can figure a sure fire, good way so my 60 tail gate lowers "gently" I would appreciate any help.
If someone machines up a way, no problem paying for a kit.
My tailgate has become heavy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom