Tailgate cover fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like many others, my 94's tailgate cover was falling apart and interfering with the tailgate operation.

The root cause is failure of the 1/8" hardboard that gives the cover structure, plus failure of the binding at the edge of the carpet.

The missing section is where your hand goes when opening and closing the tailgate.

1678922466390.png
1678922568506.png

I see them used, but none in great shape. They're 30 years old now. I also see aftermarket, but I wasn't thrilled with the options. I decided to try to fix the one I had.

I spent $12 on hardboard at Home Depot, used the old hardboard as a template, cut the shape with a jig saw, and drilled the holes for the fasteners. The material looks identical to what was original.

1678922982115.png

I'm sure it's out there, but I looked for new binding tape but couldn't find anything that would fit the same as the original. I re-stitched the old binding to the carpet, a couple hours with needle and thread, and then used leather repair tape and some E-6000 to fasten everything back together.

1678923375065.png

It's not perfect, but it turned out considerably better than expected.

Last edited:
That does look great. But I never really liked the carpet and my minimum labor charge is $325/hr, so I went with this…love it

i forgot there was a carpet thing in that area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom