Tail lights driving my fawking nuts/newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, this is what I have. My turn signals, brake lights, hazzards work. but no tail lights. my light assy are new, also the switch on the brake pedel new as of today. with that stated, I only have head lights up front. no lights on fenders. could this be the problem? where should I look?

We need more info to help you. What year rig are you working on? Have you ever had taillights? Is this a new to you rig? Did they just quit working? With a little more info, we can get you straightened out.

Good luck! :cheers:

It helps to know what year you are talking about, but the running lights run off of one pole of the headlight switch, so chances are the switch is bad or the wiring coming off the switch.

sorry. its my first 40, its a 78 the previous owner had small leds in the front much like a heep, and factory lights in the rear. I replaced the rear lights today with new units cuz it was time. (plug and play) the previous set did not have tail lights as well. all signals work and brake lights work. signals do blink fast, I am guessing its due to the leds in the front, but they dont work or blink. as a precaution I also replaced the Brake switch. sugestions?

First download the 1978 schematic off this site. It's in the technical links section, link at top of this page. It's a pdf doc so you will need Acrobat to view it. Once you have the schematic start at the headlight switch and see if you have +12V going to the running lights when the headlight switch is pulled. If not bad switch, if you do then continue tracing that wire to see where it's broken.

You may need to replace the flasher unit with a LED flasher. This is a solid state flasher designed for LED lights. These are available at any good auto store or you can get them from www.waytekwire.com.

sorry for the confusion, the rears work and blink fast, the front LED do not work at all. i will replace them with OEM. I am guessing it my pull switch, I seem to have replaced everything else

You can take the switch apart and clean it in 5 minutes. Just need needle nose pliers to bend the little tabs back and a pencil eraser or a Dremel tool with a small wire brush. Clean each contact till it shines then put a good coat of Dielectric grease on them. Put it back together and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom