Tail Gate rating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I may be missing it in the manual but I can't find the load rating for the LX570 tail gate.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to load a safe (let's say about 900lbs) and not break the tail gate when loading / unloading the safe.

I could be wrong, even as overengineered as these vehicles are, I can't imagine the tailgate is designed to handle more than the max tongue weight for towing of 850 lb.

Imagine three offensive lineman sitting on your tailgate...how long would you let them sit there (never mind the fact they are drinking your beer)?

Hi, I may be missing it in the manual but I can't find the load rating for the LX570 tail gate.

I'm wondering if I'll be able to load a safe (let's say about 900lbs) and not break the tail gate when loading / unloading the safe.

I have a vague memory of seeing the load rating for the LC200 tail gate and being surprised at how low it was - maybe 350 pounds? Sorry I can't be more definitive, but I am sure you are over the limit at 900 pounds.

HTH

Imagine three offensive lineman sitting on your tailgate...how long would you let them sit there (never mind the fact they are drinking your beer)?
Depends on what team they were from.... :)

if just loading/unloading into the cargo area you should be fine unless you plan on leave all 900lbs just on the tailgate for a while. Maybe support the weight till it hits the cargo area.

We've had 3 people chill on the tailgate before with no issues, proly 500 pounds of weight. Not scientific at all, just saying it held us fine...

Thanks all.

Don't want to know the cost. Rent a trailer or a U-haul truck it is. It's probably the right way to do this anyway - easier to load/unload. Which reminds me, now I need to find out what my hand truck is rated for.

I believe it's around 300, but can't remember the official weight. I can tell you with certainty that it's nowhere near 900. Strongly advise you do not let 900 pounds rest full on the tail gate.

On mine...I've got a small dent where its has pressed down on the bumper, and that's just from sitting on it. I might be a little overweight...but I'm nowhere near 900 pounds! :confused:

Get some professionals to move the safe. It's dangerous work to people and property. I just had a safe moved and I didn't let a finger.it was worth the $300 I spent moving it. I've helped a three or 4 buddies move their safes. Never again!

I would never put a 900# safe on a hand truck. That's just asking to get seriously hurt.

This is a time to hire a pro.

Thanks guys. I thought we could do this with a few guys but hiring a pro does sound like the way to go.

After years of tailgate abuse, my tailgate does not close all the ways or seal. I am thinking I should replace the hinges and see if it actually would fix the problem.

After years of tailgate abuse, my tailgate does not close all the ways or seal. I am thinking I should replace the hinges and see if it actually would fix the problem.

You can actually take a small pry-bar and tweak the "hooks" on either side inward to recover the tightly closed tail-gate. I did this on mine after a body shop guy showed me how easy it is. The bracket that holds the "hooks" (U-shaped hooks that your tail gate grabs on either side) will actually move in as you pry it upward/inward.

I believe it's around 300, but can't remember the official weight. I can tell you with certainty that it's nowhere near 900. Strongly advise you do not let 900 pounds rest full on the tail gate.

On mine...I've got a small dent where its has pressed down on the bumper, and that's just from sitting on it. I might be a little overweight...but I'm nowhere near 900 pounds! :confused:

This thread also shares the same sentiment. Definitely says to me the tailgate is not up to the task of 900 pounds!

Tailgate hits ARB bumper

I copied the Egyptians, wooden dowels make moving a safe easy. So easy that I bolted my 1000 lbs safe to the floor first thing after moving it. As far as the tailgate I would not attempt that

I recommend against placing that load on your tailgate.

You’re getting good advice in this thread. Use a low deck trailer. Get help. Use rollers. Don’t overdo it. Keep everyone as safe as the safe

Thanks. Yes, this is a great forum with knowledgeable, helpful folks. I'll be hiring a pro for this; completely hands-off for me. Logistics may be a little more complicated if I buy used, but new shouldn't be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom