Tacoma squealing DS wheel(s?). (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96FZJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
2004 V6 Access Cab Tacoma with TRD pkg. 197k miles and no mods (except slightly bigger tires).

I'm out of town (way out of town) and my son reports that the wheels (he thinks DS but not sure front or back or both) are squealing constantly while moving but stops when he applies the brakes.

Due to time difference and both of our schedules I can't really talk to him real time to try to diagnose. Thought I'd check in here to see if this sounds like a familiar issue to anyone and is some easy fix before just telling him to drop it off at the dealership.

The only thing new done to the vehicle is a new paint job. Just got it back a week ago. Anyone ever heard of a paint job causing something like this?? Dust from sanding or paint/clear coat get in to somewhere it shouldn't have?

Brake pad hung up and the wear indicator is making noise or a wheel bearing would be my guesses.

Thanks for the reply. Could be either I guess. With my rudimentary understanding of both systems I had kinda convinced myself that applying the brakes would not make that stop. Not being able to hear it myself or pinpoint the exact origin of the noise or try different scenarios makes this a guessing game. Time to just take it to the shop and stop guessing. Thanks again.

2004 V6 Access Cab Tacoma with TRD pkg. 197k miles and no mods (except slightly bigger tires).

I'm out of town (way out of town) and my son reports that the wheels (he thinks DS but not sure front or back or both) are squealing constantly while moving but stops when he applies the brakes.

Due to time difference and both of our schedules I can't really talk to him real time to try to diagnose. Thought I'd check in here to see if this sounds like a familiar issue to anyone and is some easy fix before just telling him to drop it off at the dealership.

The only thing new done to the vehicle is a new paint job. Just got it back a week ago. Anyone ever heard of a paint job causing something like this?? Dust from sanding or paint/clear coat get in to somewhere it shouldn't have?

Without more detail and maybe an actual inspection I would assume it is the break wear indicator but it could be a frozen caliper or just a small rock stuck between the disk and pad... 'Sounds' like it's time for a break inspection.

Last time I had it in for a checkup (month ago?) they told me one front pad was at 2mm and the other 4mm. Not enough of a difference to be too concerned about (i.e not 0 vs 7). Don't remember which side though. Might just be time for brakes. Hopefully something easy... thanks for the input.

As an update... as I said, I am out of town. Got my wife to take it to the dealership. They said the wear indicator is making the noise, new rotors, pads, shims - $500. Or they could try to resurface the rotors and it would only be $300 but no guarantees cause the rotors are old - I had new rotors put on at a Meineke about 70k miles ago. Assuming there is still pad the rotors should be fine shouldn't they? Really got to thinking about it and realized that with it being in the paint shop and then parked due to the squealing noise the day after it was painted, it had been driven about 6 days since they told me there was still 2mm on the pads. Got my wife to go back to get it and take it to a very reputable (google, facebook, yelp) shop near the house that we have never used. The shop took it for a drive with my wife and listened. Then took it in to check it out and said that it seems some dust, etc.. from the paint job had gotten on the pads and that the pads were "floating". Pads still had about 30% and there was no hurry to replace them. But if we wanted to, $260 for OEM or $160 for aftermarket but OE specs. I asked if aftermarket brand was Akebono and got a "I think that's what he said". So no telling really.

Anyone know what "the pads are floating" means? This is a second hand report (i.e shop to my wife then my wife to me) so can't be 100% sure that's what was said but I know little enough about it to not be 100% sure it's not what was said.

And for good measure a couple after paint pics (roof and hood were in pretty bad shape paint-wise)... I asked them not to put all the TRD, V6, SR5, etc.. stickers back on after paint but a little too late, they had already put the SR5 back on the pillars. Thinking about doing a big TOYOTA or TACOMA across the tailgate. And gotta put my bedliner back in.

3261[544].jpeg

3263[547].jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom