Tacoma shocks swapped. Update 09/22/19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you have to unbolt the KDSS sway bars up front? I'm about to do my 05 Sport later on today
I only unbolted the ones from the valve to allow the sway arm to drop, left the sway attached to the lower control arms. Then when it was time to button up, tires back on, lowered it, then I used the floor jack to raise the sway bar back into place while having a 2nd person use a long tool to move the bracket into place while I raised the sway bar back into place. Bolted all 4 Allen bolts and good to go.

I only unbolted the ones from the valve to allow the sway arm to drop, left the sway attached to the lower control arms. Then when it was time to button up, tires back on, lowered it, then I used the floor jack to raise the sway bar back into place while having a 2nd person use a long tool to move the bracket into place while I raised the sway bar back into place. Bolted all 4 Allen bolts and good to go.

You mind telling me which 4 allen bolts you’re referring to?

I only see these

90A94A4B-16C9-47EE-A723-951AC2330CDA.jpeg

EDD55920-A1CF-496A-9BA2-17184FCD01B1.jpeg

Not my photo, but the Allen bolts to the sway bar you see here connected to the valve. Remove the ones here and the other one on the passenger side. 4 Allen bolts total. The picture here doesn't show the Allen bolts but you get the idea.

F83F0EDB-250F-4442-9291-A5220F225435.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh ok I gotcha. I assume these will fall down so I should support them up?
They'll droop down and extend only so far, the valve holds it in place as long as you didn't unbolt the other bolts connected to the lower control arm.

Took the truck to get tires mounted and balanced, then after that, alignment. Truck drove straight but after alignment, it now pulls to the right. Pretty PO cause I asked the tech if the alignment was bad, he said it was not off by much and that it just needed a small tweaking. Well, he sure tweaked it! Gonna take it back weds to have it get redone with no charge. On a positive note, the duratracs makes the truck look more rugged to say the least.

Post your alignment specs and I’m sure others will chime in

Post your alignment specs and I’m sure others will chime in
Unfortunately I didn't get the specs, should've gotten it but didn't think it was an issue. I'll see about getting the specs of today's and the next one to compare them. Starting to 2nd guess taking it in to get it aligned when it was already driving straight.

Took the truck again to get realigned and wheels rebalanced. Finally they got it right this time, truck drives straight and no more vibrations coming from the steering wheel. The duratracs are noticeable on noise when on the freeway but nothing I can't tolerate, plus they make the truck look more rugged. Very happy with the way it turned out so far. More mods to come later!

PSX_20190822_170828.jpg

PSX_20190822_170917.jpg

IMG_20190822_152704.jpg

Last edited:
Update: tricking the airbag to get about a 1.5-2 inch lift looks great! But driving around town, man, it's pretty harsh. I feel nearly every bump in the road, especially from the rears. I hear good things about coil toytec super HD. Since my 120 is lifts 2.5 in the front, would a 2 inch rear coil with metal tech conversion kit level it out? Or give it a bit of rake? Don't mind a little rake, bear in mind, 120 sees 90% pavement and the other 10% trails. Any help/suggestions would be great. Oh, and I ditched and sold the stock wheels that was wrapped with the duratracs, upgraded to tundra wheels and KO2's 😎.

2" rear + 3" front is pretty much level

2" rear + 3" front is pretty much level

Cool, so a 2 inch coil would give me a little rake since I'm only lifted 2.5. Probably a 1.5 - 1.75 inch coil would make it level. 🤔. I may end up going with the SSO kit vs metal tech, design looks more sound and I'll probably head over to my local salvage yard and pull some top isolaters from a 4th gen 4runner to complete the rear conversion, just need to decide on coils now. Thanks for the tip.

I keep reading (no real definitive answer) about some of the guys here use a "Puck", "caster wheels" as the base to keep the rear coils in place, anyone here know any details about that before I shell out $100 on the SSO conversion kit? Thanks.

Ended up on the GXOR page on Facebook. I read that there are few guys who runs the coils in the rear and just let the weight of the truck hold the coils in place due to a slight bump on the axel perch, which I don't feel comfortable with metal on metal rubbing. Got a few ideas to use hockey pucks (2 pucks on each side, drill middle of pucks for mounting bolts), energy suspension coil isolators, and mounting hardware to use instead of going with SSO or MT kits. Parts cost excluding mounting hardware is $23 bucks, saved myself $60-80 bucks. I'd imagine hardware would set me back a few extra dollars but no biggie. I'll post pictures of the install when I get all the parts including Toytec Superflex coils. Stay tuned.

Ended up on the GXOR page on Facebook. I read that there are few guys who runs the coils in the rear and just let the weight of the truck hold the coils in place due to a slight bump on the axel perch, which I don't feel comfortable with metal on metal rubbing. Got a few ideas to use hockey pucks (2 pucks on each side, drill middle of pucks for mounting bolts), energy suspension coil isolators, and mounting hardware to use instead of going with SSO or MT kits. Parts cost excluding mounting hardware is $23 bucks, saved myself $60-80 bucks. I'd imagine hardware would set me back a few extra dollars but no biggie. I'll post pictures of the install when I get all the parts including Toytec Superflex coils. Stay tuned.

I got the SSO/Moog kit from Treaty Oak Offroad. Southern Style Offroad Coil Conversion.

I didn't get the upper isolator cones. So far it rides great. No squeaks or harshness. The only downside is that it adds a .75" lift in addition to your rear coils. In a previous post you mentioned that you wanted it close to being level so this is something you'll need to consider.

I have about 2.5" up front and a total of about ~2" in the rear. It is slightly raked but not bad at all. I would say it's about .5-1" rake, which is a little less than the factory rake. I'll post up pictures today after getting my new tires installed.

I got the SSO/Moog kit from Treaty Oak Offroad. Southern Style Offroad Coil Conversion.

I didn't get the upper isolator cones. So far it rides great. No squeaks or harshness. The only downside is that it adds a .75" lift in addition to your rear coils. In a previous post you mentioned that you wanted it close to being level so this is something you'll need to consider.

I have about 2.5" up front and a total of about ~2" in the rear. It is slightly raked but not bad at all. I would say it's about .5-1" rake, which is a little less than the factory rake. I'll post up pictures today after getting my new tires installed.
Cool. I've already ordered the make shift /diy stuff. Toytec superflex is supposed to add 2 inch of lift so it should be right where I need it to be. Benefits from the SSO kit is that you can adjust the shims to level it should it lean. But yes, post pics!

Cool. I've already ordered the make shift /diy stuff. Toytec superflex is supposed to add 2 inch of lift so it should be right where I need it to be. Benefits from the SSO kit is that you can adjust the shims to level it should it lean. But yes, post pics!
Cool. I'll post up later in GXOR. I'm the hmoob xyooj from Sac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom