Tacoma - Opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
All -

I know some of you have some Taco experience. I am looking at picking up a 2009 Dual Cab 4wd out of San Antonio - I talked to Jacque about the strengths and weaknesses of the truck. It sounds like with a suspension upgrade and a few pieces of armor, they are pretty decent.

To avoid the follow-up questions - I am thinking about buying one - mildly upgrading it for light off-roading and using it for camping, hunting, etc. Mildly upgrading = Icon Vehicle Dynamics suspension and Upper Control Arms, installing an ARB locker up front (it has a rear e-locker), putting on some Slee sliders, some Demello skid plates, an ARB bumper with a M8000, a rear bumper (undecided manufacturer), snorkel, super charger, and running 33" BFG At's.

I really like the idea of being able to mount a rooftop tent on the bed rails - at my height this would be ideal as I could easily open it up and re-package it - without worrying about falling 7+ feet off of the roof rack of the 80. Also, it is easier to throw a dead deer, hog, etc. in the back of a truck than in the back of an 80 or on the rooftop.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

I had a 2005 double cab TRD. I OME'ed it and ran some 285's on it.

I took it all over Superlift with all the more capable rigs. The locker/wheelbase combo was really good. It was a great mild wheeler. I say it is almost as good as an 80 in that sense.

As for the truck itself, it was the most boring vehicle I have ever owned. I just could not get into it.

For what you are planning, it is a great platform.

176377675_sLnCs-XL.jpg

If you can find a good one that is the model year before this, I think it is a better all-around wheeling platform and it gets much better fuel economy.

159667480_55LQD-O.jpg

159667676_CfPcu-O.jpg

159667811_NwEbt-O.jpg

I have an 04, and I much prefer the looks of it vs. the later model.

I have an Xtra Cab, and it does alright for what I need. I'd rather have the 4 door. Mine is the 3.4L w/ 5 speed, TRD, 4WD. I get an honest 21 MPG highway with 275/70 R17s (too dang wide and a little too tall). Stock otherwise.

Good solid platform for what you're looking to do, Mark. Rooftop tent with a drawer system underneath, and that'd be the cat's meow.

Solid words of wisdom from Nolen.

The '05+ is a big freakin truck. I saw one parked next to a mid 80's Chevy 1/2 ton and it was every bit as big. I'm waiting on Toyota to offer another compact truck but not holding my breath...

Yea I find it villainous too. The fuel economy numbers are based on a stock truck run in perfect conditions. I will tell you this it cost me $20 in fuel to drive to the Cherokee and back at the last meeting.

I think I would rather have a first gen Tundra to build than the 2005+ Taco

I LOVE my GenII and I can haul a friggin house with it if need be. The brakes on this thing are unbelievable, I flat tow Lorena with no brakes other than the tundra and it's nothing. The price on the '07-'10 seem to be cheaper than the Tacos! And the fuel economy isn't far off.
Mark, for what you're doing, a built up 4x4 Tundra would be billy-bad-ass

2009 SEMA Tundra Bed and Cab Racks

I like the Tundras...but, they are not short guy friendly. I think I am going to buy this Taco I am looking at and see how it goes. It still has 15,000 miles on the factory warranty so, if I choose to sell....I have a small window to take advantage of that. I appreciate all the input...we will see how it goes.

I'd love it if they offered the diesel in the Tacoma...that would be awesome.

- Mark

I like the Tundras...but, they are not short guy friendly. I think I am going to buy this Taco I am looking at and see how it goes. It still has 15,000 miles on the factory warranty so, if I choose to sell....I have a small window to take advantage of that. I appreciate all the input...we will see how it goes.

- Mark

For a mere 25k there is a guy in San Antonio that will put a D4D in it for you.

I had an 03 4 door with the locking rear diff and it was awesome.....still trying to figure out why I sold it.....I like that bodystyle better, but regardless of year, it's a great platform for what you are planning. I would go for it. the narrower body allows it to get on trails a Tundra can't....Andy's tundra rides great...but for your needs I vote Taco

I like the drawer system with tent on top idea.

Last edited:
All -

I know some of you have some Taco experience. I am looking at picking up a 2009 Dual Cab 4wd out of San Antonio - I talked to Jacque about the strengths and weaknesses of the truck. It sounds like with a suspension upgrade and a few pieces of armor, they are pretty decent.

To avoid the follow-up questions - I am thinking about buying one - mildly upgrading it for light off-roading and using it for camping, hunting, etc. Mildly upgrading = Icon Vehicle Dynamics suspension and Upper Control Arms, installing an ARB locker up front (it has a rear e-locker), putting on some Slee sliders, some Demello skid plates, an ARB bumper with a M8000, a rear bumper (undecided manufacturer), snorkel, super charger, and running 33" BFG At's.

I really like the idea of being able to mount a rooftop tent on the bed rails - at my height this would be ideal as I could easily open it up and re-package it - without worrying about falling 7+ feet off of the roof rack of the 80. Also, it is easier to throw a dead deer, hog, etc. in the back of a truck than in the back of an 80 or on the rooftop.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

This is twice in almost a week your thinking of something other than the 80. Are you planning on keeping the 80 and getting a TACO? You could always get a trailer and put a RTT on it but keep it lower than it would be on the 80. If you want to play with my RTT one weekend let me know.

I had every intention of keeping the 80...but, almost fell off the roof rack this weekend working on it. Not a good experience...probably would have ended up breaking both of my femurs again...since they are a bit weaker now. So, exploring some other options...some lower options.

- Mark

fjfar80 said:
I had every intention of keeping the 80...but, almost fell off the roof rack this weekend working on it. Not a good experience...probably would have ended up breaking both of my femurs again...since they are a bit weaker now. So, exploring some other options...some lower options.

- Mark

Makes sense. Wes has shown what you can do with a Taco.

- Mark

I saw tons and tons of Hilux trucks with the diesel in Belize.

I know it's crazy, but have you thought about ponying up and finding one of those? The importing of that might be a true nightmare, but I know that's not our of your reach :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom