Tacoma finally drives as it should (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
My '17 V6 AT 4WD DCSB had the well-documented stock ECM programming crap driveability - constant gear changes, any hill required downshifting to 4th/revving over 3k rpm, etc.

Initially I went with the OVTune, which improved things somewhat, but still was lethargic just looking at a hill.

I went back to the tuner and had him flash the OTT8 Lite/Mild tune. Driveability improved, except at low speed where it kicked, bucked, just no way to smooth it out; also took a -2mpg hit. So I went back to the tuner and had him wipe the learned history, then reflash OTT8 Mild/Medium.

Wiping the learned history seems to have been the key, in my case. He did wipe it before OVTune, but not when going from OV to OTT.

What an amazing difference! OTT has shared dyno results of their tunes and they show it makes marginally more power (hp and torque) across the board. I believe it because I feel it now. Truck is supersmooth, I can actually take hills around here in 6 or 5/ low-2k rpm, shifting is crisp, no more hunting. It is actually a pleasure to drive, finally! And when I put my foot into it, the response is really fun. :bounce:

Still on my first full tank since the latest flash, but mpg has been creeping back up.

I was about to sell this thing because of driveability. Now, no way. I am not affiliated w/ OTT, paid regular price for the tune, just a supremely happy customer. It's a shame the truck didn't roll out of the factory with this programming.

I rented a 2021 4R and drove over the Poconos mountain, I stated hating it as it started hunting gears! Glad I bought a manual Taco in 21!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom