Tacoma Driveline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, having the grrrrr and will likely needed a new driveline, located a shop locally who can hook me up if I can find a Tacoma rear driveline. 3 wrecking yards had some questions for me and all of them said it does matter. My driveline guy says he's done them for the 80 series but they have been supplied by the owner so he was not sure.

What I know;
1. I need one from a 99'-02' Tacoma
2. According to my search on this site, it needs to be a Double Cab

What I need to know;
1. Does it HAVE to be a Double Cab
2. Does it have to be 4x4?
3. Does it have to be 4cyl or 6cyl or either?
4. Does it have to be Auto or Manual or will either work?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
:cheers:

Well I can tell you this much... 1998-00 were the generation II tacomas, 01' up to the newest one '05 were generation III. There is no such thing as a generation II double cab so if you want a double cab you gotta start around 2001 not 1999.

it can also be an extra cab
that's what i got mine from
and remember it's the rear shaft not the front
i'm pretty sure it needs to be a 4x4 or a prerunner package
the 2wd surly sits to low to need that kind of shaft
not sure on the others

hope this helps
ryan:D

How much will this cost all in all?

Just wondering if it's more cost effective to get one that's proven to fit an 80?

This is a post by Kumar from another board. Maybe it will help your search. You might try sending him a PM to get more information. FYI, an X-Cab is not the same thing as a double-cab. I have a '97 X-Cab 4x4 V6 automatic if you need me to check something. I know it has a 2-part rear DS and the back part has a double-cardan. That's all I know.

My new CV-jointed (double-cardan) front driveshaft. Shaft is out of a '99 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab 4x4.
Apparently the only Tacoma's that got this driveshaft were the 4x4 Extended-cab version. This shaft is the rear
part of the rear shaft (rear shaft has a 'carrier shaft' from the t/c to the carrier bearing, then a 'rear shaft' from
that carrier bearing to the rear pinion, this is the rear-most part of the rear shaft). I simply bought this from a
junkyard, had Tom Woods shorten it to 30.5" (do your own measurement though), and am bolting it in

driveshaft.jpg

Here is his write up on 'Mud.

-B-

Last edited:
Critter - Everyone seemed positive the years this particular shaft was available was 99'-02' so I'll assume Double Cabs are not the only models with this shaft.

K5 - That would back up what Critter is saying and it makes sense that only 4x4 or possibly Pre-Runner packaged Tacomas would have them. Thanks for the input thats its the rear one

Doug - I've been told by my local guy that I should be able to pick up the shaft for $75-$100 and then his work would be another $50-$100. That puts me @ $200 max for the local guy. Concrete put one together in his area for a bit more. If you are refering to Slee's, I would love to have it, looks like a NICE part, but I dont have the $$ at the moment ($380 front/$400 rear + shipping) and dont have the time to save for it either as I need to take the 80 home to Montana for X-Mas vacation.

-B- I did see Kumar's post and PM'd him, he stated its working out great, but didnt add which one it was. I'll talk to the local dude again tomorrow and see what exactly I should be looking for. Might take you up on some measurements.

Once I get it all together, I'll try and post up a "spec" listing for it.

Thanks for the responses so far :cheers:

I think the double shaft was on the long frame Tacomas which would include the Xtra Cab and the Double Cab. It probably needs to be the 4wd frame so either a 4wd or PreRunner would be needed.

The 1st generation of the Tacoma came out in 95.5. It had a front fascia and interior remodel in 98 and again in 02. The Double Cab came out in 02 with the interior and front end refresh. The 2nd generation Tacoma came out in 05. I would be really surprised if they changed the double shaft rear drive shaft during the 95.5-04 model from a CV joint to a non CV joint.

So I would look at 95.5 to 04 Xtra Cabs and Double Cabs in either a Prerunner or 4wd configuration.

There are a couple Tacomas at work that I'll look at tomorrow to verify my assumptions.

Derek - That would be great if you could take a look. The more possibilities the better!

Well I got to work and could only find 1 first generation Tacoma in the parking lot. It was a 02-04 Xtra Cab 4wd. The rear section of the 2 section driveshaft has the CV joint.

There was also a 2nd generation 05 Tacoma and it only had u-joints for both sections of the 2 section rear driveshaft.

If I see more Tacomas I'll let you know.

If this helps, my brother's '01 double cab has the two piece rear shaft with the CV.

Are you sure you need a rear driveshaft with a CV joint? Perhaps you just need to replace the ujoints or get the adjustable upper arms from slee to point your pinion down. Just a thought.

concretejungle said:
Are you sure you need a rear driveshaft with a CV joint? Perhaps you just need to replace the ujoints or get the adjustable upper arms from slee to point your pinion down. Just a thought.

The Taco shaft fits the front!:whoops:

Yea i know that, for some reason i was thinking he was going for a rear shaft. Guess i should read the questions better. I was also thinking he should start troubleshooting with the rear since i found that was my problem the whole time even though i could have sworn it was the front. :(

Concrete - I'm checking out both shafts actually, like you, dropping the front and seeing what happens, then reinstalling and dropping the rear etc. The intial thought from both myself and the local guy was it was the front and he stated (as did Tools R Us ) that a Tacoma driveline would "fit" the front. Now I dont know if thats a direct bolt up or what, but since time is precious, I've started the hunt for the shaft. I really appreciate all your posts as its helped me both grasp what may be wrong with mine and give me a direction on what things to check :cheers:

Thanks also for the guys peering under unsuspecting Tacomas, more exciting then dropping your pen to look up someones skirt?;)

Right on Montana. I believe the only modification for the Taco shaft is it needs to be shortened. I think the flanges bolt right up.

I agree with concrete - I swapped in a Tacoma driveshaft (02, I think) and only needed to have it shortened a bit. The bolt pattern is the same. It fixed the occillation above 65 mph.

Tim

crash said:
I agree with concrete - I swapped in a Tacoma driveshaft (02, I think) and only needed to have it shortened a bit. The bolt pattern is the same. It fixed the occillation above 65 mph.

Tim

Did you swap a rear Tacoma driveshaft for your front or rear 80 shaft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom