Taco V6 towing ability... are they strong enough? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rainman

Wondering what my next vehicle will be...
Threads
I'm an 8 time Toyota owner and a former FJ40 (3) and 45 (1) owner. I currently drive a 2003 Dodge Dakota and find myself towing vehicles from time to time on an 18' trailer. I'm studying up on used trucks for when I get something else but don't want a full size truck. I was told the Tacoma V6 will tow just fine but I'm hoping this forum is as helpful as the 40 series list is. I've looked up the specs but hearing from other Taco owners (I believe I want 2012 or higher) would be the best source of information.

Any and all comments are welcome. Oh. I'm in no hurry to buy, just seeing if this is the way I need to go when I'm ready.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Rainman

Last edited:
I had an '07 Taco 4.0 and was happy with the way it towed my 40. I was planning to buy a '16 Taco but the towing reviews were pretty awful; ended up getting a tundra instead.

I have an 07' Taco, and it is rated at 6500 lbs. (Dbbl cab, 4wd, short bed, manual 6 spd) I have only towed small stuff, with the exception of an RV that I tow about 2 to 4 times a year. The trailer is a 19 1/2 ft and weighs 2960 dry. Add a few more pounds for gear, food, family, and beer. The truck pulls this set up great, the only draw back is the wind resistance of pulling a big square block down the road. My trips are to the Sierras, and up to approx. 7000 feet +/- . You will not win any speed contests, and big 3/4 ton diesels with 5th wheels will pass you, but you will have maneuverability.

Thanks. That's a good start. I think I'm wanting a Tacoma Access Cab Prerunner SR5. That should be able to have the rear view camera (must have) and towing package. I don't need the 4WD. Would love it but don't need it or the cost.

I owned a '91 SR5 V6 5 speed manual for 16 years, traded in for an '08 Prerunner access cab, V6 auto w/tow package. Am very impressed with its power and pickup compared to the '91. I think it would fit your needs.

Less control over your gears, and soaks up too much hp, that could be put to use at the rear tires. I don't know if there is a difference in the diff gearing, but mine is (I believe) a 4.10. Is it different in an auto? Additionally, the 4WD has been very useful in parking my trailer, in town at my house, and at camp sites. Shift into 4 Lo, and creep into tight areas, or back the rig up and over the curb without spinning a tire in your lawn, or parking the RV in an up hill site, next to a tree, missing those little 4x4 posts outlining your parking area, etc,etc.
Well maybe it is kinda preference.
Good Luck with your choice

Go with a 4x4. they wil hold their value so much better

And another thing... What are you guys actually getting in gas mileage? A bonus would be that I get some gas savings over may Dakota. Believe me, that won't be hard... I hope it's more than a few miles per. I'm getting 15/17.

I have a stock 15 access cab, 4.0, 6-speed, 4x4 I use as a daily driver and to tow small loads with (dirt bikes, building materials, etc.), I consistently get 16-18 mpg rural driving, slower highway speeds (60-70 mph) I can get 19 mpg. For lighter and occasional heavier (FJ40 or heavier) towing I think the Tacoma would get the job done, but if you will be towing something like an FJ40 at all regularly, a full size really is the better option. Many years ago I used my old 01 Tacoma, V6, 5-speed to tow a 79 FJ40 from New England to Wyoming, it did it but got 9-10 mpg, couldn't go much above 60mph; I traded it in on a Dodge diesel a couple weeks after that trip (that said I towed cars a lot more back then)

I don't tow on a regular schedule. Just every now and then. If my '32 turns out as good as hoped, I'll be towing that only occasionally. I sometimes help a buddy with older cars ('50s) and they tend to be heavy. It may even turn out that I sell my trailer some day and towing won't be a problem anymore.

Can you tell I'm still a ways from pulling the trigger?

IMG_1905.JPG
Used to have an 05 doublecab taco 6 spd, towed an Fj45 one time and one time only, hated the feeling of the truck and trailer weighing the same, never felt safe not to mention the braking not being very strong. Took care of that problem, now I can tow pretty much anything!

Aaaand why is that? Do they have a known problem or is that just your personal preference?

The second gen 4.0 automatic ('05-'15) is generally regarded as much more reliable than the manual (check out TacomaWorld for lots of good info).

The fun factor is about the only perk to owning any manual these days. Automatic transmissions in modern vehicles are faster, more reliable, and more efficient than their manual counterparts. You can shift the Tacoma's auto into any gear you like (1-5). Power robbing in modern autos is non-existent.

However, if you get an auto and you want to tow (or off-road for that matter), make sure it's equipped with the factory tow package because that included a factory transmission cooler (and beefed up alternator). I'm pretty sure TRD 4x4 models came standard with the tow package (not sure about Prerunners).

My '09 4.0 auto TRD 4x4 towed just fine. Zero problems in the four years I owned it.

Thanks Arailt. That all makes sense. I'm in my mid 50s and have owned many manual shift cars. The most fun was a Mini Copper S. I just don't need/desire it anymore. With the research I've done, I knew the '09 was as early as I want and '12 up if I can afford it. Not tons around of the combo I'm favoring (not limited to) and since I'm only casually looking, I've got time to find a good one.

No problem.

2009+ is a good call. 2005-2008 frames have more rust issues and are currently under recall.

All second gens have the same bones, but there were some changes over the years.

Major changes:

2009 - Added electronic traction/stability control nannies (auto LSD, TRAC, ATRAC). No more mechanical LSD rear end. Side curtain airbags were standard.

2011 - Bluetooth introduced (I think). Changed grille slightly.

2012 - Front end and interior (steering wheel) "refresh." They also added a secondary air pump to the motor, which is quite costly to replace if it fails.

I lived on the Tacoma forums for about four years, so if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks again. It may be a while but I'll try to remember this.

IH8MUD is by far the most helpful forum and bunch of members on the interweb. Hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom