Taco prerunner to 4x4 conversion, what parts would I need? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My bad his videos are usually pretty good.
This one has a parts list.

thanks so much

My brother has a Prerunner that he might sell me if he gets a 2020 Tacoma. If I end up buying it Ill most likely do the conversion.

I'm stocking up on parts to do this too. I have a 2001 Taco Prerunner stepside, 3.4l with auto trans. Picked up a auto trans and tcase from a wrecked 98 4runner. Only difference I am doing is using axles from my parts FJ80. I plan to use as much of the stock suspension. I've already measured and the frame widths are only 1" difference.
Are you planning to go IFS for the front? Or SAS, since you're already are doing a ton of work? I'd recommend Solid Axle Swap. Pick up some non locked FZJ80 axles and you can add lockers later

Thats a pretty good list. Note that that list is using the manual "j-shift" case--there are several different cases between the Tacoma as well as the 4Runner so be sure what you want and get. That list also is for manual front hubs which uses a different hub body pressed into the knuckle (spindle), manual hub locks, and different outer bell end cv joint. Btw, all the 4x4 and PreRunner use the same knuckle (spindle), just with either an ADD specific hub body pressed in, or a manual specific hub body, or a block off plate for the PreRunner. Then there is also a different diff side-tube that is sans the ADD actuator, but you can "trick" the ADD actuator (there's an electric one or a vacuum one) into being permanently locked. Or you can wire up the actuator into your case/4x4 ECU so the ADD locks when going in 4hi and 4lo. Sounds complicated, but really not that bad and really, easiest to just do the manual side tube if doing manual hubs.

That all being said, you don't have to do manual hubs, but if you don't then you really should use and wire up the ADD.

Last edited:
I'm stocking up on parts to do this too. I have a 2001 Taco Prerunner stepside, 3.4l with auto trans. Picked up a auto trans and tcase from a wrecked 98 4runner. Only difference I am doing is using axles from my parts FJ80. I plan to use as much of the stock suspension. I've already measured and the frame widths are only 1" difference.
Are you planning to go IFS for the front? Or SAS, since you're already are doing a ton of work? I'd recommend Solid Axle Swap. Pick up some non locked FZJ80 axles and you can add lockers later

Sorry for the semi-hijack here... :D

@YMT I would like to hear and discuss further on the 80 series axle and suspension swap under the Tacoma. Have you started a thread on it somewhere?--i have been scheming the exact same thing for about 10 years now and would love to bounce ideas off of somebody looking to do the same thing. I am *very* close to going for it right now.

Last edited:

@YMT I would like to hear and discuss further on the 80 series axle and suspension swap under the Tacoma. Have you started a thread on it somewhere?--i have been scheming the exact same thing for about 10 years now and would love to bounce ideas off of somebody looking to do the same thing. I am *very* close to going for it right now.
I haven't started yet. My Prerunner Taco is my DD until I finish my frame-off resto-mod on my 80 series. Once I finish the 80, or at least get it road worthy, then it's (the Taco) going under the knife.
I have an engine (extra as of now), trans, and t-case from a 98 4runner. That'll complete the 4x4 swap, and I will use the 80 series axles. Driveshafts will be a custom job from one of the many manufacturers (Tom woods or other company).
As far as suspension, I plan to reuse as much of the 80 parts as possible. The frames are only 1.5" difference. Plates and fab tricks should be able to cover the difference. A buddy has already said he's willing to weld up the 80 series brackets and coil cups onto the Taco frame. I just need to bring him the project.

Bounce ideas off me. I'm still in the planning stages, but I will provide any insight I can. We can both hopefully tackle it together, time dependant

Bounce ideas off me. I'm still in the planning stages, but I will provide any insight I can. We can both hopefully tackle it together, time dependant

I have this thread going from a couple years ago--some good chat in there on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom