Taco Owner - LC Curious (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just today as posted earlier discovered my rear door actuator went kaput. Add to it my driver seat no longer moves forward or backward and it’s stuck way too forward to drive comfortably.

80 is now listed for sale. $30K firm.

😮Don't give up hope so soon...A 10mm on a 3/8 drive ratchet will run your seat back where it belongs.
The motor in the rear door lock actuator can be rebuilt in a few hours with an Amazon motor, a propane torch and some 60/40 rosin core solder...Keep the faith brother.

Oh and I couldn't possibly offer more than $1500 for it with those problems....:flipoff2:

Last edited:
😮Don't give up hope so soon...A 10mm on a 3/8 drive ratchet will run your seat back where it belongs.
The motor in the rear door lock actuator can be rebuilt in a few hours with an Amazon motor, a propane torch and some 60/40 rosin core solder...Keep the faith brother.

Oh and I couldn't possibly offer more that $1500 with those problems....:flipoff2:
Lmao

I would never give up my cruiser even if it had no windows! We, my brother ect buy Toyota’s and with some maintenance just drive them. No issues after 20 trucks combined between us. They go and go. Our whole family has a bunch. My sister has a Benz but her man is a mechanic.

Last edited:
What Cardona said. It's a bit like being the captain of the Millennium Falcon.

I forgot to add, yes there is the cost of maintenance, but unlike newer cars, you don't have a $300 -$400 a month car payment on top of all that, so it's actually quite reasonable. The maintenance free portion of these rigs' lives was enjoyed and paid for by the people who swallowed the $50,000 price tag over 20 years ago and those who purchased from them second hand.

1578215726682.png

Thanks everyone for all of your input, advice, recommendations and sharing your experiences. Taking all of that into account, as well as CruiserDan's thread, and some deliberation with the wife, it looks like the Cruiser is gonna have to wait a few years until I can afford to make an investment like that. That being said, I will be looking to get a newer TRD 4Runner so I'll be asking for advice and recommendations on how to spec it out like I want. You guys all seem like awesome human beings and I'm thankful to have found such a great community!

Thanks everyone for all of your input, advice, recommendations and sharing your experiences. Taking all of that into account, as well as CruiserDan's thread, and some deliberation with the wife, it looks like the Cruiser is gonna have to wait a few years until I can afford to make an investment like that. That being said, I will be looking to get a newer TRD 4Runner so I'll be asking for advice and recommendations on how to spec it out like I want. You guys all seem like awesome human beings and I'm thankful to have found such a great community!
Good decision IMO...take a look at GX470. 4 runner with a V8.

Keep the tacoma, the resale is through the roof these days. Save up for the lc as a second vehicle, that way you can buy one for less and fix it up and not have to get it all done in a weekend. I have both, but would never give up my tacoma as a DD. There is a reason that tacomaworld folks are less technical minded, it's because tacomas never break down.

Case in point... my LX has never marked its parking spot in the driveway...
I flushed the power steering fluid last weekend because the pump was starting squeal and the fluid smelled burnt and looked like mud; this weekend it developed a PSP leak, now there's a small puddle of bright red AFT under the PS pump and there's a nice wet rear seal surface on the pump. I knew it was going to need it sooner or later.
Owning a Land Cruiser is never boring, there is ALWAYS something to do "next" weekend. :poop:

Last edited:
Good Choice, I daily my GX and garage my cruiser for playtime.

I agree with what people have said DD an 80 is expensive for me at least

Check out the GX470 or GX460 cost near the same as a 4Runner but much nicer and ya ....V8

Keep the tacoma, the resale is through the roof these days. Save up for the lc as a second vehicle, that way you can buy one for less and fix it up and not have to get it all done in a weekend. I have both, but would never give up my tacoma as a DD. There is a reason that tacomaworld folks are less technical minded, it's because tacomas never break down.
The Tacoma’s are reliable, they just get that 2 piece frame syndrome after a while 😝

As a newish LC owner I waited 6 months to find a good example around 10k price. Which was a triple locked collectors edition in good shape with all sorts of up grades as far as suspension, dual batteries, rack bumpers etc. and a laundry list of new OEM parts. Truck had 230k in it. I DD it have traveled all over the east coast. And would not hesitate to take it anywhere. That said I did a full base line. And typically spend one weekend a month doing some kind of preemptive repair. Which equals a car payment most months. My advice is stay ahead of the repair work there is great advice here. If your doing a repair replace it all. Right down to the nuts and bolts use OEM parts. And enjoy the journey.

I love my 80's - but as a true DD the GX470 bears consideration..... aftermarket support is solid and they're very capable, and with 270hp in the 2005 and later versions they move and handle nicely ( worth chasing down the "sport" if you can).... it might be a good stop-gap until you can find that 80 you just can't pass up....

E

Tacomaworld is a dumpster fire, I know because I'm on there too. It's like the millennial hipster version of Pirate.

This is too true. I just got my Tacoma and registered at TW but people on there just want to flame each other rather than provide knowledge or help. Everyone's got their terrible one liners and stupid shtick. I think half the threads on there would be moved to chat if they were posted on Mud.

I've thoroughly enjoyed having the modern conveniences of the Tacoma, heated seats, navigation with route history, bluetooth, back up camera, remote start. But my 80 still puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I'll never give it up.

This is too true. I just got my Tacoma and registered at TW but people on there just want to flame each other rather than provide knowledge or help. Everyone's got their terrible one liners and stupid shtick. I think half the threads on there would be moved to chat if they were posted on Mud.

I think I figured out the mathematical forumula:

Pirate4x4 - (Coors Light+meth+wifebeaters) + (craftbrew IPA+Adderall+beard oil) = TacomaWorld.

You have to remember that 1/2 wits don't follow the additive rule, Its multiplicative.
1/2 wit + 1/2 wit does not equal 1 wit.
1/2 wit x 1/2 wit =1/4 wit.

As 1/2 wits join a conversation the total gathered intelligence starts dropping like a stone.

I think I figured out the mathematical forumula:

Pirate4x4 - (Coors Light+meth+wifebeaters) + (craftbrew IPA+Adderall+beard oil) = TacomaWorld.
I think you are missing the constant, "M" or "E" in this equation somewhere, where M = Metrosexual, or E = Entitled.

I forgot to add the biggest reason I don't DD my cruiser. If some bonehead hits me, my irreplaceable is gone, and I will be depressed for the remainder of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom