Taco experiments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally did a little wheeling for the first time in the family machine, 04 double cab trd.
It went everywhere I pointed it, but with much more effort required than I thought it would (just to use to my cruisers I guess).
The stock suspension blows, no flex out of that IFS front. What really helps is the stock BFG trail t/a's seem to be same size as 33's.
I was a tad disapointed with the rear e-locker..there were times when engaged and still only one wheel spinning. I had always been under the impression it was a 'real' locker?
But it sure was nice to have the windows rolled up to keep the dust out and the AC blasting in 30 degree heat to keep the kids cool and happy.

happy trails,

Jeff

It is a real locker on par with ARB. Sometimes it takes a little time for it to engage, although if you have 1 wheel spinning I'd think everything would mesh and it would engage quite readily.

IFS is never going to flex that well, but there are some things you can do like disconnect the sway bar. Also, the hot new setup for a flexy suspension is to install tundra coils, check out yotatech for more details.

ahh yes, the sway bar. Forgot all about that. Still quite new to this IFS crap. I know some umm..J%@P people who have quick disconnects for the yj tj variety..I assume something similar can be done on the taco?

I didnt realize that for the locker to work it had to be 4lo...dont remember the manual saying anything about that.

thanks for the tips.

happy trails.

Jeff

Enigma said:
What really helps is the stock BFG trail t/a's seem to be same size as 33's.
The stock BFGs are 265/70s (~ 31s)...not 33s. Of course, that is assuming you have not swapped tires. :grinpimp:

Enigma said:
ahh yes, the sway bar. Forgot all about that. Still quite new to this IFS crap. I know some umm..J%@P people who have quick disconnects for the yj tj variety..I assume something similar can be done on the taco?

I didnt realize that for the locker to work it had to be 4lo...dont remember the manual saying anything about that.

thanks for the tips.

happy trails.

Jeff

Here are you some quick discos:
http://www.frontrangeoffroadfab.com/disconnects_taco.htm

Bighead said:
The stock BFGs are 265/70s (~ 31s)...not 33s. Of course, that is assuming you have not swapped tires. :grinpimp:

yah..i know..u run the numbers and it works out to 30". BUT...they are the same size as the 33 bfg mud t/a's on my 45....and the same size as the 33 pro comps on a friends yj...therefore..i call em 33's :grinpimp:

Of course..a true 33, like a swamper, might just rub a tad. :doh:

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom