Taco/4-Runner comparison (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for what is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway...

Besides the obvious body/sheet metal differences, how similar are the Tacomas with a 4-Runner of the same year? For example, how many of the parts on a 97 or 98 Tacoma are interchangable with a 97 or 98 4-Runner? What about similarity/compatibility of FSM's?

The wife has a 97 4-Runner with the 2.7L and I've been looking at used Tacomas. Basically what I'm getting at is am I doing myself a favor in terms of simplicity if I limit my truck search to the same years/model yeears of the 4-Runner?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hey Mike,

The place you want to go to ask this question is www.ttora.com It's a Nationwide Tacoma Club: Tacoma Teritory Off-Roader's Assoc. I was a member for many years, and am now an "honorary member", since I sold my Taco, and now have a Land Cruiser. Just click on the mesage board link, and you'll find more info than you need. There's chapters for every state also.

They can share the same engine/tans/t-case and front suspension including knuckles/cvs/center. This is ofcourse dependant on the option package, ADD or not. You can swap the front clip between them if you do it as a whole. Other than that they are unique.

The Keyless entrys are also compatible for the same year toyotas. If you have a two button remote for the 4 runner you can program one button for the 4 runner and the other button for the truck. kind of nice.

We did this with our vehicles. (My wife also has a 97 runner).

BTW, Sent you a PM if you are interested in buying a 97 taco mine is posted in the for sale section.

One haynes manual covers both vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom