Taco/4-Runner comparison

Discussion in '05+ Tacoma, T100, Highlander' started by freeamerica, Feb 9, 2004.

1. freeamerica

freeamerica

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway...

Besides the obvious body/sheet metal differences, how similar are the Tacomas with a 4-Runner of the same year? For example, how many of the parts on a 97 or 98 Tacoma are interchangable with a 97 or 98 4-Runner? What about similarity/compatibility of FSM's?

The wife has a 97 4-Runner with the 2.7L and I've been looking at used Tacomas. Basically what I'm getting at is am I doing myself a favor in terms of simplicity if I limit my truck search to the same years/model yeears of the 4-Runner?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. offroadkid

offroadkid

Albums:
    Hey Mike,

The place you want to go to ask this question is www.ttora.com It's a Nationwide Tacoma Club: Tacoma Teritory Off-Roader's Assoc. I was a member for many years, and am now an "honorary member", since I sold my Taco, and now have a Land Cruiser. Just click on the mesage board link, and you'll find more info than you need. There's chapters for every state also.

3. trailcarnage

trailcarnage

They can share the same engine/tans/t-case and front suspension including knuckles/cvs/center. This is ofcourse dependant on the option package, ADD or not. You can swap the front clip between them if you do it as a whole. Other than that they are unique.

4. zetasig

zetasig

The Keyless entrys are also compatible for the same year toyotas. If you have a two button remote for the 4 runner you can program one button for the 4 runner and the other button for the truck. kind of nice.

We did this with our vehicles. (My wife also has a 97 runner).

BTW, Sent you a PM if you are interested in buying a 97 taco mine is posted in the for sale section.

One haynes manual covers both vehicles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.