Tachometers for your 40 Series Landcruiser. FJ, BJ, HJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mopdog

SILVER Star
Threads
Replica Tachometers and Bezels for your Cruiser.

These are modified Autometer Gauges with custom faces and cnc machined bezels. The bezels are cut from 5/8" aluminum plate with a final thickness of 1/2". They are anodized then professionally painted with PPG Delstar Acrylic Enamel. They are sealed with custom neoprene gaskets and come with stainless steel mounting hardware. I used the highest quality materials on these, aluminum, stainless steel, high grade neoprene, and professional paint. These are not rattle canned behind a garage and it shows. Here is a link to a thread on these. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/536009-bj42-hj47-tachometer-bezel-dimensions.html

The price on these will be $365 shipped in the lower 48 for the gas versions and $395 for the diesel version. There will be an extra charge for 24 volt versions. Please PM me or email at fj40tach@gmail.com to order. Some of the gauges will have to be be ordered and these will be assembled to order and as such will not ship immediately. Depending on gauge availability there will be about a 2 week timeline for delivery with an outside chance of up to 6 weeks.

I will now be offering a kit so you can assemble your own gauge and bezel. The bezel will come anodized and ready for you to paint. The kit will include the necessary hardware and gaskets to assemble and mount the unit as well as your choice of gauge face. It does not include the gauge, you will have to provide your own, autometer 2888, 2890, or 2891. You may need additional parts based on your individual install, year, mounting location, 12 or 24 volt, etc. These additional parts are not included but I will let you know where to get them. The price for the kit will be $165 shipped in the lower 48. These are in stock and will ship within a couple days of ordering.

Thanks to all of you who helped me out on these with your suggestions and contacts. Amaurer especially with the plastic casting to get me going.

2012-07-10 11.28.16.jpg

2012-07-10 14.26.21.jpg

2012-07-10 14.25.44.jpg

Last edited:
I love the look!!

It's far down the line on my list of things to do however. Great work.

Here is picture of the back of the gauge showing the rear profile. By fitting a LED light inside the case I was able to to get the distance from the back of the bezel to the back of the gauge under 2". It will still be tight but should allow for mounting the gauge and bezel to the right of the cluster.

ForumRunner_20120730_230409.jpg

ForumRunner_20120730_230816.jpg
ForumRunner_20120730_230409.jpg
ForumRunner_20120730_230816.jpg

Last edited:
If you can come up with a way to drop the price you would get more intrest. 400 for this is insane I know you put alot of work in this but there are ways you can cut the price down. The problem is you can get an aftermarket tach for a third of the price or less and with the simplest metal work you can make the for half at the most I know it's all billet and cnc machined and anadized and painted which is by far overkill on something like this

nitroid13 said:
If you can come up with a way to drop the price you would get more intrest. 400 for this is insane I know you put alot of work in this but there are ways you can cut the price down. The problem is you can get an aftermarket tach for a third of the price or less and with the simplest metal work you can make the for half at the most I know it's all billet and cnc machined and anadized and painted which is by far overkill on something like this

I got my "DIY" kit (no tach) the other day. The bezel and parts are top drawer, very well made.

You can get an aftermarket tach for much less, and I suspect that those who don't want to spend the money won't. It all depends on what you want the inside of your Cruiser to look like. If you want a quality reproduction part to keep it looking stock then this is the way to go. There is noting else on the market to replicate the original Mr. T tachs that came in overseas market diesel Cruisers.

Small production run parts are not cheap to manufacture and almost anything aftermarket for our Cruisers is going to be a small market for any manufacturer. Most Companies won't bother making parts for the FJ40, or any other model for that matter. I'm thankful anytime some guy in his basement decides to come up with something like this.

If you're Autometer manufacturing container loads of generic tachs in China for the entire automotive market then of course you can get parts to market cheap. You just can't expect the enthusiast in his basement making reproduction parts in small batches for a single vehicle type to compete with that. I suspect that paying any less for one of these kits would make it a complete waste of time and a PITA for Mopdog.

hello,

excuse me I use google translate

I am interested in this for my HJ45 tachometer pick up 1976 engine with six cylinders H 3.6l diesel 12 volt air
how he connects to get the signal?
on the alternator or on the clutch bell?
there is no way to reduce the price a little as $ 365 is pretty expensive here I found

hello,

excuse me I use google translate

I am interested in this for my HJ45 tachometer pick up 1976 engine with six cylinders H 3.6l diesel 12 volt air
how he connects to get the signal?
on the alternator or on the clutch bell?
there is no way to reduce the price a little as $ 365 is pretty expensive here I found

The 5000 rpm version is the diesel option. It includes a pickup sensor that takes a signal from your alternator. It is 12 volt. I offer a DIY kit that will save you a few bucks if the full version is not in the budget. Thanks for the inquiry.

The 5000 rpm version is the diesel option. It includes a pickup sensor that takes a signal from your alternator. It is 12 volt. I offer a DIY kit that will save you a few bucks if the full version is not in the budget. Thanks for the inquiry.

hello,
how much you sell?

The kits are $165 shipped inside the lower 48 states of the US. I will ship internationally at an extra cost depending on where you are. The kits do not include the gauge, you will need an autometer 2888, it is the diesel version. Thanks

hello,

I'm leaving for the light version

on the gauge, the AUTOMETER 2888 connects with a strap around the alternator after this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhLPAPZxNsM

Is it possible to connect a wire coming out of the alternator W? and use AUTOMETER 2890 would correspond more engine

I have a diesel engine reference H six-cylinder 3.6l turbo air without

hello,

I'm leaving for the light version

on the gauge, the AUTOMETER 2888 connects with a strap around the alternator after this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhLPAPZxNsM

Is it possible to connect a wire coming out of the alternator W? and use AUTOMETER 2890 would correspond more engine

I have a diesel engine reference H six-cylinder 3.6l turbo air without

Autometer told me that the tach will not operate properly off of the "W" terminal signal. Dakota Digital makes a universal interface that will make the 2890 gauge work off of the alternator terminal. I shipped one overseas to a guy who was doing a high end restoration on a BJ40 and wanted the 4k gauge. This the only way I know of to make the gas gauge work with a diesel.

Last edited:
fj40 tachometer

Would like to get one for my fj40 on your special
sale price of $315. Shipped.
How can I pay for it? Are you taking credit card?
Thanks,

Charly

Came from work today and got the FJ40 Tachometer from Maupin in the mail.
Took me about 2 hours to cut and install the tachometer (not wire yet).
Looks great!...
Few pics to share how do I cut the hold on the FJ40.

FJ40_1979_Tachometer0011.jpg

FJ40_1979_Tachometer0010.jpg

FJ40_1979_Tachometer0006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom