Tachometer in the dash display on my 4.7 V8. not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The tachometer in the dash display on my 4.7 V8 , intermittently stops working I turn the engine off a few times and it works again any ideas were I should start looking for a fault thanks in advance

There is a bunch of information using the search function.

If it is JUST the tach that has issues, it is most likely an issue with the tach mechanism in the cluster itself.

If you connect to your OBD2 with appropriate software or scanner, does the instrument correctly display the RPMs and is not intermittent?

There is a bunch of information using the search function.

If it is JUST the tach that has issues, it is most likely an issue with the tach mechanism in the cluster itself.

If you connect to your OBD2 with appropriate software or scanner, does the instrument correctly display the RPMs and is not intermittent?
Thanks In don’t have a scanner so I will borrow one and test it thanks for the advice regards Mark

So I'm working through tach issues myself, here are some things I noticed:

1. There are 4 pins on the tach subassembly that touch the circuit board but have no way to "keep them in place". If these get loose, your tach can stop working.
2. The plug to send signal to the tach subassembly is pretty secure.

If it were my guess, it is that the pins for the tach subassembly lose contact with the circuit board, and the movement/vibrations from starting the truck again may move stuff back into place enough to work again.

Does it happen more often on rough terrain?

So I'm working through tach issues myself, here are some things I noticed:

1. There are 4 pins on the tach subassembly that touch the circuit board but have no way to "keep them in place". If these get loose, your tach can stop working.
2. The plug to send signal to the tach subassembly is pretty secure.

If it were my guess, it is that the pins for the tach subassembly lose contact with the circuit board, and the movement/vibrations from starting the truck again may move stuff back into place enough to work again.

Does it happen more often on rough terrain?
Thanks for reply I think you are correct as it started working again after hitting some rough road when I have time I will pull the cluster out and see if I can fix the problem .Regards Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom