TAC Heat Stove/Tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all:

Working on getting my 87 FJ60 to pass smog here is California and ran into a small issue. Visual inspection failed due to a missing Thermostatic Air Cleaner. Smog guy said I was missing the TAC heat stove and tube that connects to the exhaust manifold. I called a couple of shops in my area (north bay area so Mudraks is close) but they didn't have any specific parts available. Is this something that can be rigged up with parts from an auto parts store? If anybody has any advice or tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Jared

That duct is called the "hot air intake duct". It's a metric size (55 mm) that is not available in the USA. I searched long & far. There is a duct available from Gates in the UK that fits and is designed for HAI. Gates 7743-00555.

Readily available on eBay (shipped from the UK). Search that PN on eBay.

If you're missing the heat shield thingy that clamps around the exhaust manifold that the duct attaches to, you can legally wire the end of the duct next to the exhaust manifold to be CARB compliant. (That heat shield thingy is unobtainable). If the smog tech gives you grief about wiring the duct, go to another shop. He's just being an ass and doesn't know what he's hassling you about.

Whatever you do - never linger around the car when the tech is examining it. It makes them nervous. Leave. Or go somewhere out of sight & come back later. It's all about trust. If he thinks you're a CARB spy (and there's plenty of them) he'll test the truck by the book.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
That duct is called the "hot air intake duct". It's a metric size (55 mm) that is not available in the USA. I searched long & far. There is a duct available from Gates in the UK that fits and is designed for HAI. Gates 7743-00555.

If you're missing the heat shield thingy that clamps around the exhaust manifold that the duct attaches to, you can legally wire the end of the duct next to the exhaust manifold to be CARB compliant. (That heat shield thingy is unobtainable). If the smog tech gives you grief about wiring the duct, go to another shop. He's just being an ass and doesn't know what he's hassling you about.

Whatever you do - never linger around the car when the tech is examining it. It makes them nervous. Leave. Or go somewhere out of sight & come back later. It's all about trust. If he thinks you're a CARB spy (and there's plenty of them) he'll test the truck by the book.

View attachment 1659119
OSS
Thank you for that info!
I have been looking all over myself for this part.
I just ordered it.
Jorge

Reactions: OSS
do you have the rest of the OEM air filter housing?

View attachment 1659119
That is exactly how mine is, except attached to the number 2 header tube.

Yes, as far I as know.
easy fix then.... sometimes pictures will help, I think you could likely find something that would work in most any auto parts store...or be able to order it, where you were dealing with an older vehicle with carburetor. Most all the domestic vehicles with carb had some type of "hot air" tube to duct air off the exhaust into the air filter housing...approx 1987 and older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom