T-IV fluid, properties, suitable for power steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering if any knows definitively if Toyota T-IV is backwards compatible with Dexron III. The reason is I am changing out my tranny fluid and thought I would also do the power steering pump change as well, but if possible use T-IV fluid instead of Dexron III. I like the idea of having one oil for tranny and PS pump, one oil for diffs/transfer, one oil (Delvac 1 5-40) for engine/car/mower etc. saves having 14 half empty bottles of different fluid in the cupboard to get mixed up and put in the wrong thing.
(I remember many years ago Mobil brought out an oil called Mobilland Super Universal, one farm, one oil, suits engins, diffs, transmissions, hydraulics etc. They stopped it so I guess some things blew up and they got sued?)
I would howeve,r like to reduce the number of oils I carry.

No. It would probably work, but it is probably less than optimum and potentially problematic.

So Cary,
I presume that is a NO even with a complete fluid change(which I was going to do) I thought I read somewhere you could run T-IV in toyota autos specifying Dexron III, and that they actually changed from Dexron III to T-IV in the 80 series? for the exact same transmission.

BTW, one can still buy fully synthetic ATF w/ Dextron II by Redline. They make 2 or 3 different synthetic ATF's. This is what I'm running in my PS. I've also ran chevron and Valvoline extended life ATF w/ dextron III...no difference in performance, just put in the Redline for more heat tolerance.

I think there's no way around having multiple fluids for multiple vehicles. I try to standardize, too. All PS fluid (2 toyotas, 1 honda) is dextron II/III synthetic ATF, all motor oil is M1 delvac 5w40 in 4-gal cases, all diff/t-case fluids are M1 delvac 75w90 gear oil, all MTF is Redline MT-90, ll brake fluid is Vavoline dot 4 synthetic, grease is M1 NLGI-2 MP grease (too difficult getting amsoil here). For ATF (on the LX), I have the toyota dealer do the work.

T-IV and Dexron products are not compatible. T-IV is a high friction modifier fluid where Dexron II/III/VI is not.

Some trannies changed from DII/III to T-IV but it is likely the friction materials used in the tranmission changed at the same time.

In the power steering box the hydraulic qualities of the fluid are the important ones so T-IV might work fine but for a $3 bottle of fluid I don't think it's worth the risk.

I do think that A DIII or even a DVI fluid would be fine even though the spec is DII.

T-IV and Dexron products are not compatible. T-IV is a high friction modifier fluid where Dexron II/III/VI is not.

Some trannies changed from DII/III to T-IV but it is likely the friction materials used in the tranmission changed at the same time.

In the power steering box the hydraulic qualities of the fluid are the important ones so T-IV might work fine but for a $3 bottle of fluid I don't think it's worth the risk.

I do think that A DIII or even a DVI fluid would be fine even though the spec is DII.

I concur. BTW, DIII fully superseeds the Dextron II spec, so you can use D III where D II is called for. D4 (DIV) is coming out now and that superceeds D-III and D-II and can be used to replace both. If use redline tranny fluid their D4 is the proper ATF for the power steering and trannys that speck D-III.

The new GM Dexron is Dexron VI (D6). I don't know why they couldn't lose the Roman numerals.

They skipped 4 and 5 so it wouldn't be confused with Toyota T-IV, Chrysler 4+ and Mercon 5. (and the bigger the number the better right?).

This is a hugely improved transmission fluid from everything I've read and compatible back to Dexron II like cary mentioned. The Redline synthetic D4 refers to the fact that their fluid also meet the GF-4 gear lube cert but I have heard that they will roll out a D6 fluid soon.

GM rolls out D6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom