1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-Case Won't Shift

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by 89crooz, Mar 28, 2004.

1. 89crooz

89crooz

My 89' fj62 has a auto tranny and when i got it the transfer case would not go into low range. All the linkage is hooked up it just seems like something is preventing it from moving in the transfer case. Also the high range button is not shifting it into high range. I am not sure if these two problems are related but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. scubajohn

scubajohn

not sure abour your truck but my 1970 fj40's transfer case was "stuck" I could pull bang beat on the stick and it would not budge.

Soooo I used the old school method. I pulled on the stick while my bro was under the truck tapping with a hammer. It poped free after a couple of whacks and has worked perfect from then on. I would guess the PO had not shifted it in YEARS.

Good luck and dont beat the crap out of it.

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

I hear lots of problems with the shifting solenoids. I'd look into that first. No personal experience though. They are located high on the firewall.

4. dd113

dd113

Do a search here. There was an involved thread about it not long ago. You hvae 2 issues, one is hi/low which is mechanical anf the other is 4/2wd which is vacume. Hi/low switch needs to be done in neutral, follow the thread for 2/4wd issues.