T-Case/Tranny fill hose connection set-up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled fill plug on 76 4 speed tranny. clean oil gushed out. t-case appears to be very low. fluid changed by PO 200 miles ago (i got it about 100 miles agohttps://forum.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/smile.gif). any input on type of hose/connectors to use to connect the fills until i replace the seal? can I get off-the-shelf hose and hose clamps on a couple fittings? does it need to be a special hose? what size fittings? thanks!

The fittings are metric...I put together a parts list with Caterpillar part numbers and posted it up a few years back and cannot find it now... :rolleyes:

THESE FOLKS have a similar set up...

:beer:

Ok...

Found the list..

Aeroquip numbers for oil transfer kit.

Hose fittings.

191321-8S

90 degree -8 female JIC elbow hose barb for 1/2" hose

-OR-

4797-8B

Strait -8 female JIC hose barb for 1/2" hose

Use two of 90's.
I included the strait number just in case someone needs it.

Transmission and transfer case fill plug fitting:

15.117-10-8

18mm x 1.5 x -8 male JIC
-OR-
Caterpillar number 6V-4388

(will need to re-use or replace crush gasket with this fitting)

You will need to locate a section of oil/fuel resistant 1/2" inside diameter hose long enough to tie the two fittings together.

SM420's and SM465 owners...

On my SM420, oil transfer was an issue. The 420 and 465 have a fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission, so making a similar hose kit required that I drill a hole in my PTO cover, and weld a -8 Male JIC fitting in the cover, at the correct level, which if you have your transmission full, you can drain it, and the high oil mark will be left apparent with residual oil, or you can measure from the bottom of the case to the fill plug hole, and then measure that distance on the other side and mark it. I was lucky and made the first style work for me.

Either of these fittings will require that you drill a 3/4" hole in the PTO cover on the transmission.

I used the Caterpillar fitting,

8M-0505

or you can use the Aeroquip number

202702-8-8S

Again,

The text talks about modifying a 420 PTO cover to install one of these set ups, since these transmissions do not have a fill plug on the driver side...this would be a non factor for a Toyota transmission.

Dave, by the time you factor in the time and hassle of finding/fabricating your own setup, it'll be cheaper and easier just to buy one of the hoses from MAF.

Mark...

Dave, by the time you factor in the time and hassle of finding/fabricating your own setup, it'll be cheaper and easier just to buy one of the hoses from MAF.

Mark...

X2.

To those who answered my questions, thanks. i guess i cant figur the surch funkshun and will be stuk in irak, again....duh.... I tried that. Lot of hits, no specifics. Thanks for the info Poser, and the advice, Mark.

Howdy! Cheap and easy do it yourself. I have done this on more than one rig. Pull off both fill plugs. Take to local hardware store, Ace, Home Depot, whatever, match up 1/4 or 5/16 brass hose barb that will fit inside of plug. Use largest one that fits. Drill and tap the plugs. I think they are SAE thread, not National Pipe Thread. Screw barbs into plubs, and plugs into gear boxes. Add enough rubber hose that it isn't kinked, and secure with hose clamps. Cost $10, takes an hour or two. I have done this with a hand drill and hand tap, no fancy tools. Fill both gear boxes with lube up to the plugs, and TA DA! Around and around she goes. Just don't get the new hose snagged in the bushes. John

Pulled fill plug on 76 4 speed tranny. clean oil gushed out. t-case appears to be very low. fluid changed by PO 200 miles ago (i got it about 100 miles agohttps://forum.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/smile.gif). any input on type of hose/connectors to use to connect the fills until i replace the seal? can I get off-the-shelf hose and hose clamps on a couple fittings? does it need to be a special hose? what size fittings? thanks!

I think this is far superior to the setup you can purchase from MAF or SOR
Tranny to Transfer bypass hose

The fittings are metric...I put together a parts list with Caterpillar part numbers and posted it up a few years back and cannot find it now... :rolleyes:

THESE FOLKS have a similar set up...

Will this kit from MAF fit my H55 and TC. i mean tube long enough?

Will this kit from MAF fit my H55 and TC. i mean tube long enough?
Howdy! Don' know, but it would be the same length as a newer FJ60, wouldn't it? My kit is only $5, and will fit any rig. See my previous post. I spent less than 1 hour making it. John

Hi All:

I built one of these tranny to t-case fill hoses a few years ago for me FJ40.

Took the fill plugs down to a hydralic shop and asked for two fittings with the same thread pitch and size as the plugs. Also got two swivel fittings and a length of petroleum rated, high-temperature hose.

Regards,

Alan

SM420's and SM465 owners...

On my SM420, oil transfer was an issue. The 420 and 465 have a fill plug on the passenger side of the transmission, so making a similar hose kit required that I drill a hole in my PTO cover, and weld a -8 Male JIC fitting in the cover, at the correct level, which if you have your transmission full, you can drain it, and the high oil mark will be left apparent with residual oil, or you can measure from the bottom of the case to the fill plug hole, and then measure that distance on the other side and mark it. I was lucky and made the first style work for me.

Either of these fittings will require that you drill a 3/4" hole in the PTO cover on the transmission.

I used the Caterpillar fitting,

8M-0505

or you can use the Aeroquip number

202702-8-8S

Again,

The text talks about modifying a 420 PTO cover to install one of these set ups, since these transmissions do not have a fill plug on the driver side...this would be a non factor for a Toyota transmission.

Looking at my SM465 with a 4 speed tcase, the fill plug on the SM465 is on the drivers side, however...

It is about 2" higher than the fill plug on the tcase.

Is there any issue with running the transmission a couple pints low if I drill and tap the PTO cover to be level with the transfer case fill plug? (It is running low now because it is pumping oil into the transfer case and then it goes out onto my driveway. :D)

Hose installed. Drilled PTO cover, hopefully leak will stop:
IMAG0731.jpg
IMAG0733.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom