T-Case to transmission hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hell

I have new 5-speed transmission all installed well, rebuild T-Case- facts
now do I need to install this hose or this hose only to look sexy or for transmission that spiling to t-case
any solid good benefit with having this on new rebuild items?
tcase-hose.jpg

If there are not leaks between the transmission and transfer case then you don't need the hose. The hose only works when the seal on the transmission output shaft leaks and the gears in the transfer case "pump" gear oil from the transfer case to the transmission. If you have a leak that goes from the transmission into the transfer case, the hose doesn't help.

Don't use it -ever-.
Those hoses are an invitation to a disaster due to laziness. Oil doesn't always migrate from transfer to transmission when the seal goes bad. It can flow the other way.
Even with a leaking seal, it's better to check the oil levels and adjust them occasionally than to use that cursed hose.

If I had to vote on the worst piece of crap aftermarket janky thing I ever installed on my cruiser, that bypass hose takes the cake hands down.

if it aint broke, dont fix it. but if it is broke, and oil is moving from the tcase to the trans, this is a lot easier to install than dropping the tcase. regardless of opinion, it will solve a specific problem.

If you remove the vent cap from the transfer case and attach a free-breathing hose, oil migration will pretty much drop to zero (in my experience with FJ40s, FJ60s, etc.) I agree that the hose is a janky stop-gap thing, but it could buy you time.

Each to his own but after many years and over 350 sold some mudders are happy. And yep a rubber hose will work too. The stainless hose and the teflon line inside keeps the heat from breaking down the rubber as many are close to the tail pipe. But even with stainless braided hose dont let it stay on the pipe keep some distance away so heat can disperse. Besides stainless looks more better than a black rubber hose. But each to his own. I would never sold them if I hadnt been asked to do it by mudders on ih8mud.

Each to his own but after many years and over 350 sold some mudders are happy. And yep a rubber hose will work too. The stainless hose and the teflon line inside keeps the heat from breaking down the rubber as many are close to the tail pipe. But even with stainless braided hose dont let it stay on the pipe keep some distance away so heat can disperse. Besides stainless looks more better than a black rubber hose. But each to his own. I would never sold them if I hadnt been asked to do it by mudders on ih8mud.
OK but I do not understand why? I have a hose in my possession and I have a brand new 5-speed transmission paid $3,000, and if I install it and my new trany goes to "haven", should I look for you?

OK but I do not understand why? I have a hose in my possession and I have a brand new 5-speed transmission paid $3,000, and if I install it and my new trany goes to "haven", should I look for you?

the hose did not come stock on FJ60’s of any model. It’s just a way to help solve a leaking seal problem. Putting it on won’t end the world. With a new transmission and a rebuilt t case there is absolutely no need for it.

You have a new transmission. With that hose installed you won't know if oil is migrating. I wouldn't use it until you are both passed warranty and you know what trends your lube levels are displaying.

It is 'janky' and not something I would ever voluntarily install. But sometimes 'janky' is good enough.

You have a new transmission. With that hose installed you won't know if oil is migrating. I wouldn't use it until you are both passed warranty and you know what trends your lube levels are displaying.

It is 'janky' and not something I would ever voluntarily install. But sometimes 'janky' is good enough.
dude I am stupid, so spell it for me. t-case sits lower than trany so naturally, the oil will go from trany to T-Case that is a fact, now, how oil from T-case under what force will flow back via this hose?

The answer is simple. Don’t install that hose. Just check your fluid levels at regular intervals and you will be fine. Maybe in another 20 years or 200,000 miles you will have to think about it

to answer your question. Even with the height difference of the fill plugs fluid will eventually get high enough in the transfer case to flow back to the transmission.

dude I am stupid, so spell it for me. t-case sits lower than trany so naturally, the oil will go from trany to T-Case that is a fact, now, how oil from T-case under what force will flow back via this hose?

As the gears in any gearbox turn, oil clings to the teeth of the gears and is transported upwards (and around); much like an old fashioned water wheel. Because gear oil is much more viscus than water it clings up and around instead of merely pouring down with gravity. The gears are an uncased hydraulic pump circulating lube throughout the gearbox. Some of this lube is under slight pressure as it passes through the roller bearing. For Land Cruisers, if the lip seal separating the transmission from the transfer case is leaking, oil is pushed, uphill, from the transfer case through the seal and into the transmission. This leaves the case starved for oil, eventually ruining it, and the transmission overfull, sometimes burping it out the top at the shift lever. Occasionally it goes the other direction and empties the transmission (my guess is that this is probably a matter of where on the lip seal the tear or gap is).

This 'janky' hose will allow lube to gravity flow from the transmission down to the transfer case. If you have an old cruiser, understand what's happening and monitor it, this allows you to avoid replacing the leaking seal. The seal is cheap. The effort to replace it is great and usually leads to additional costly discoveries.

Your transmission is new. Presumably you replaced all the gaskets and seals in the transfer case when it was disassembled to put in the new transmission. With a new lip seal between the transmission and transfer case, there shouldn't be any leaks and, therefore, no need for the hose. If there are leaks, you want to know now for warranty and life span of your new parts. With the hose installed it will mask symptoms of leakage.

Leave the hose off but keep it for future use (hopefully long, long into the future).

HTH

Last edited:
For years I have drilled out old fill plugs and then just JB welded a tube to the end Ran a rubber line from the fill plug of the trans to the T case am I being lazy You Bet. We drove from Calif to Texas and back checking and never had an issue in our 1985 FJ60. In my 40 I am running a SM465 with a plate adapter to the Toyota T case these are notorious for pushing gear oil from the T case into the Trans I installed my home made line again No Issues. Yes they work.

IMG_20200621_182814106 (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom