T-Case Noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been chasing down a rattle that has been quite an annoyance. First thought it was the front DS, pulled that and replaced it with a new double cardan one. Well the week that the front DS was out (while waiting for the new one) I drove around and obviously had the center diff locked. Well no noise at all, I fully thought it was the front DS. Today, I installed the new DS and bam! rattle came back right away...so i started thinking the tried this..

Drive around with the center diff open - I have an audible rattle.
Lock the center diff - No rattle.

It drives fine around town unlocked. When CDL switch engaged, I can hear the tires biting on the asphalt when I turn. So these operations seem to drive normal.

Strangest thing, the center diff lock still locks and unlocks as intended, however when unlocked that rattle comes back right away.
Also changed the t-case oil recently. Its a 95'
I also dont have a VC - Thats been gone for a few years.

Last edited:
Have you checked out your rear driveshaft, especially the ujoint next to the transfer case and the slip joint ??

Have you checked out your rear driveshaft, especially the ujoint next to the transfer case and the slip joint ??
Very good thought, I have not been looking at this at all, only because a few months ago I removed it, had it serviced (new u joints & balance) then slapped it back in. Haven't thought it may be the suspect.

Well...just checked and on the rear DS the U-Joint at the T-Case does have a little slop in 1 direction only.

Id guess it's like 1-2mm of movement. So would this come and go dependent on the CDL being engaged? Like from putting a load on it?

Okay - Just greased rear DS and checked/ tightened up the shift linkage @ the transmission.

The rattle is still present.
Seems to be audible at 10-30mph and when rolling, can't really hear it over the fan/ motor.

More prevalent when coasting.

update - Thanks to the help of @2KCruiser I think we've tracked down the issue. The output shaft on the front of the transfer case has in/ out play when the CDL switch is not engaged. Then engage the CDL switch and the play goes away.

I dont know for certain but I would assume that those flanges - front and rear of the t-case, should have no play at all. Gotta dig into the front of the T-Case and check it out.

I think you were/are following my thread. I did the bearings for the rear output shaft on my transfer case. Helped with down of the noise, but not all. I'm going to rebuild the whole t-case (eventually) and see the results.

Hmmm, my t-case is looser than grandma on bingo night. But at least she's quiet. lol
Curious what it is.

Update: The inside of the front case, where the snap ring is that holds the output bearing has broken off. 😐

PXL_20210616_195030243.jpg

PXL_20210616_194221102.jpg

Yeah for that snap ring but I have to replace that case, since it sheared off right where that snap ring sits.
Oohh. . Now I see

Wow. Good deal on the case. It appears to have cracks anyway?

Not to noodle the sitch but what most likely caused that?
Just spitballing but wouldnt it take a severe impact to the input shaft, inward to the case?

Not to noodle the sitch but what most likely caused that?
Just spitballing but wouldnt it take a severe impact to the input shaft, inward to the case?
So from what I've heard so far.... It could have been from a front DS being too long and upon suspension compression it pushes the input shaft in. (Not likely the cause since I had OEM DS)
Or - It could be from an over-greased DS spline that pushed in on the T-case upon suspension compression.
Or - A severe impact to the front end pushing the driveshaft in. (not likely as i would have remembered that)
Or - Maybe a possibility with an issue with the CDL engaging/ disengaging under too much load.

....I dunno though, I cant pinpoint exactly where the fault happened.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom