T case in Neutral? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi all:

still cruiser-less... so I must resort to keeping busy by reading this forum over and over again (not too bad of course) and mulling all that I would do if/when I finally get the ole' cruzer (already getting exhausted).
Wuz wondering about something -and I don't have one in front of me, so please don't bite- and that is the Neutral position on the T case.

Not sure if it can be put in N with the rig in Park and without a key, but if it does, would that not be the perfect way to steal the car, as in get in, put it in Neutral, and tow the thing away...?

Is this right? If so, any way to get around it?

thanks
Eric

Nick,

True, the transmission would be in park. BUT, it is possible to put the transfercase in neutral and the vehicle will roll with the parking brake released. In theory it could be towed off. the steering would be locked so the vehicle would not track.

This brings up a good point. Since it is possible to get the vehicle to "free-wheel" by putting the transfer in neutral, it may be a good idea to crank the wheels to lock in one direction or the other to confound a would-be thief. Particularly if the vehicle is in a tight space.

D-

C Dan your right. The thread got me thinking... I have tried it in my driveway and just did now. I have never been able to pull the tc lever down into n without the keys being in it and on. Turns out there is just enough slope in my driveway to bind the TC into H. Tried it on level ground and sho nugh popped right out into neutral. :(

I think the best thing to start with is a starter interrupt. That does not help this situation. The column lock is not all that difficult to break to get the wheels to turn. I've seen some wild shift locks that they use in Central America. They lock the parking brake and shifters together. I've never seen one on an auto, but they do make them for manual shift 80s. I guess if you were really paranoid you could boot your wheels when you parked. Or you could just move to a place where you are not as likely to get your Cruiser robbed or carry very good insurance. If somebody really wants something they will be able to steal it. Another option, make a thread 4wd shifter and when you leave the vehicle unthread the shifter. That would confuse the thief.

www.sandcruiser.com had their 60 stolen a few years ago. When they got to my place they were locking their tuffy console, putting in their club, and locking their doors. They wanted to look at my 60. I told them to hop in, the keys are in the ignition. They just about died. Rural living is good for a lot of things. I don't leave my keys in my 80s if you are thinking of coming for a visit ;)

Yes, that is the reason why I have an auto gear lock, a brake gear lock and an alarm system with the following features:

- Security monitoring with a distance of 600 - 1000m
- Hopping Code Technology
- Remote Security Status Check and Interior Temperature shown on LCD Display
- Shock Sensor Bypass shown on LCD Display
- Security Diagnostic Report with Chirp upon disarm
- Remote Controlled Anti-Carjack Mode
- Main Multi-Functions programmable by Software
- Dash Mount LCD Status Indicator
- Electronic Backlight and Vibration
- Inbuild Pager

I think if this fails then bad luck.

Mike

Mike,

How about a big old Rotweiller in the back seat? ;)

How about a big old Rotweiller in the back seat?

C&#039:Dan,

here in Thailand we prefer Tigers. They are bigger and stronger than Rottweilers :cheers:

Mike

Mike,

Is there a feature that sets off the alarm if the angle changes - as in when someone tries to load it on a flatbed?

Ed

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=7270;start=msg60651#msg60651 date=1068315570]

C&#039:Dan,

here in Thailand we prefer Tigers. They are bigger and stronger than Rottweilers :cheers:

Mike
[/quote]

Beside Rottweilers are a main course ;)

Locking all the axles and t-case should make it difficult to tow or drive. Damaged axles would be a bummer, but so would losing everything you've added or done to it. My insurance would cover damaged axles, and I'd finally get those seals done. Or I could block it in with big dogs. Simpler than filling the back with kitty litter for the tigers!

Is there a feature that sets off the alarm if the angle changes - as in when someone tries to load it on a flatbed?

Yes, the alarm will start as soon as someone will move the position of the car, open any doors, trunk or hood and even if someone will try to break in (use force against the body). Some of the features can be changed, so that not everybody leaning against the car will activate the alarm.

Beside Rottweilers are a main course

No, that is not correct !!! Here is Thailand, not Korea or China :slap:

Mike

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=7270;start=msg60686#msg60686 date=1068333602]
No, that is not correct !!! Here is Thailand, not Korea or China :slap:

Mike
[/quote]

LOL shades of grey to us "Round Eyes"

[quote author=Gumby link=board=2;threadid=7270;start=msg60707#msg60707 date=1068339130]
Newfs are the best at blocking driveways. Guard dogs? not so much. :D

[/quote]
Yeah, I've heard of them being stolen, how are they supposed to protect the truck? Watching them crunch through cow bones, I guess I wouldn't press my luck if I didn't know the dog.

I hope someone steals my junk...I get more out than I have in and can start over again...ahhh I am such a junkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom