T-Case clocked a few degrees?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When installing a V8 swap and using the t-case mount of the rear cone, is one side lower than the other?? Ive got the engine level all the way around, mounts being equal on the frame and all. BUT the transfer case member seems to be dipping about 1" inch down on the pass side. Meaning the motor mounts are equal and level...motor shows level but the t-case crossmember does not show level. Shows it dipping on one side......am I on crack or what?? SBC mounted to an SM420 and a 3-spd t-case BTW. :eek:

plate adapter or AA long-adapter?

The plate adapters are pretty specific to their clockability, since one of the lower short bolts for the t-case will end up in a VERY thin wall sectino of the plate if you don't clock it down a little...any higher and it ends up thru the bearing on the tranny, not so good.

You've gotta do a custom skid anyways, so....

(BTW: nice avatar, we've got box seats for tonites preseason!)

I'm using the AA cone-mount rear crossmember. Had the sm465 with AA long adaptor, now have nv4500 with AA plate adaptor. Both were perfectly level. Seems like clocking the transfer case just one hole would rotate it more than what you have. :confused:

Don't suppose your frame is bent?

its the Advanced Adapters mount.....and the frame rails are level to each other. Ive got the tub off, so its a rolling chasis right now. When I put a level across the frame rails they are perfect......anyone know of a better way to mount the thing? Seen em with a crossmember BELOW the t-case on a auto tranny mount.

do a search on treerootCO's writeup on his Orion...actually, linked off the ih8mud.com home page....great mount idea IMO....

however, with the longer AA adapter and spud shaft, it won't work...lol...you'd have to fab your own...

I've never been a fan of the AA propellor...

Mine is also clocked lower on the passenger side. I have an automatic so it gives me better clearance to the pan. Not sure if they meant to do that but it works good for me. Could also be the 6 holes drilled in your rear mount are a bit off, making the mount not level when the transfer really is.

Hossdog , what you are seeing is perfect . I have a sbc , sm420 and orion and previously had a 3 spd. case. The mount is low on pass. side.
In fact when I had my tranny rebuilt and orion installed I got rig home and noticed the pass. motor mount was 1" up in the air .
Tard at shop left it like that. I inspected and surmised that the PO had installed just like yours but instead of investigating they just sinched everything down , which led to the bellhousing seperating from block 1/2 " on top bolts and a small crack in bellhousing , stripping 3 of the t case bolts that hold the A/A mount in back and eventually causing me to have to do a tranny rebuild and t case replacement , asshats.
So , when I took rig in I told shop of this misalignment and to my suprise when I get rig back here is the motor mount waving at me , hi , I'm all f-ed up.

Solution , I put 1/4 " of big washers under the pass. side motor mount and 3/4" spacer ( stack of washers ) under the driver side tcase mount. so far so good.

Did you buy the rear AA mount used? If so you may have ended up with the wrong one for your setup.
Back in the old days, there were really only a couple options for sm420 - transfer case adapters. The AA spud shaft style, Wardens plate adapter, and the plate adapter from Extreme Bends. If I remember correctly, the extreme bends adapter clocked the transfer case 15* so you didn't have to grind the sm420 housing to clearance the front drive shaft. AA stepped up and made two different propeller style rear transfer case mounts; one that was straight across and one that was clocked 15* to accomodate the clocked plate adapter.

Sounds like you have the clocked AA mount and are using it with a non-clocked system. You can either re-drill the holes for the cone studs or do as others have suggested and build a custom skid plate / transfer mount. The underneath mount is more desirable as it reduces torsional loads on the transfer case. Most of the cracked transfer cases I've seen were mounted with that rear propeller style mount.

peesalot said:
Hossdog , what you are seeing is perfect . I have a sbc , sm420 and orion and previously had a 3 spd. case. The mount is low on pass. side.
In fact when I had my tranny rebuilt and orion installed I got rig home and noticed the pass. motor mount was 1" up in the air .
Tard at shop left it like that. I inspected and surmised that the PO had installed just like yours but instead of investigating they just sinched everything down , which led to the bellhousing seperating from block 1/2 " on top bolts and a small crack in bellhousing , stripping 3 of the t case bolts that hold the A/A mount in back and eventually causing me to have to do a tranny rebuild and t case replacement , asshats.
So , when I took rig in I told shop of this misalignment and to my suprise when I get rig back here is the motor mount waving at me , hi , I'm all f-ed up.

Solution , I put 1/4 " of big washers under the pass. side motor mount and 3/4" spacer ( stack of washers ) under the driver side tcase mount. so far so good.
THATS what I wanted to hear!!! The part is brand new from AA, so I was distressed. I will go do that right now and be on with the rest of my resto!! IH8MUD crew saves the day again, thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom