T-boned FJ62 - I need a little help from friends... they want to total it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's a link to my wrecked experience and fight with the insurance company.

fj60 wrecked today on the interstate

here is a summary list of my observations:

1. insurance companies are in the business to make money. They make money by premiums on the front end which more than cover there losses. They hire bean counters to figure this out. They make money on the back end by trying to minimize there losses..ie offering you the least they can. Another's person's insurance company has no real reason to satisfy you, you're not their customer and they will get no future premiums from you. I suspect but can't prove that the in-house insurance company appraiser (nationwide) came in high on the damage appraisal to make sure it was way above what they already assume is the Total percentage or threshold. In this way they can total the vehicle.

2. insurance companies used to go around and look in your area for similar vehicles, search the classifieds in local papers to come up with valuations. They no longer do this. Instead they hire "professional valuation companies" and pay them for a value. Needless to say if the valuation company can consistently come in low and save the insurance co money...the more business they will get.

3. Lawyers are in business to make money and not right wrongs. They will not get involved unless you are fighting for a difference of tens of thousands of dollars. They are a professional mouth piece and not your friend.

4. Tell the insurance company your vehicle is NOT safe to drive If you can't open a door, roll up a window or put on a seat belt. Try to get a loaner vehicle from the insurance company. This get's the clock ticking. The sooner you do this, the sooner they will feel financial pressure to resolve the claim.

5. Speak with a manager if the idiot in a cubical is not hearing you. Explain to them that this is a classic vehicle and valuations are all over the place and mostly based on CONDITION not mileage. Use the NADA classic car guide value. Ask for a appraisal from an independent company that is familiar with classic cars. In my case I raised concerns with the appraiser about his loyalties. The conversation went something like this: "how much business do you get from individuals wanting you to appraise a classic car? answer: none, "How much business do you get from insurance companies? answer: 100 percent. "Oh ...I see, so you've partnered up with the insurance companies to come in low for them so they keep coming back to you. Reply: NO, " I'm fair..etc etc," He got offended but in the end sent the insurance company a fair valuation.

yeah, you're trying to get AAA to get money for your from AAA...good luck on that. anyone that thinks insurance isn't a mafia scam has got balls for eyes. use the words collusion, and extortion...

That's only a flesh wound.
c8f2ff902be70e94f0e9d6b9cea2a910.jpg

Curious what type of vehicle hit you, and at approximately what speed. I'd be happy as hell to take 3600 for that.

Hi, Around here the big box body shops won't touch the cruisers . The body shops that due classic cars would not repair that for the money offered.After the body work , The whole side needs the paint blended back in and on to the hood to make the cruiser look like it hadn't been hit . If your going to hammer on the doors yourself read up on how to do it. If you hammer wrong you will do more damage. This I learned years ago the hard way. Also have you priced excellent paint and supplies lately they are VERY expensive. You can do the body work with a lot of research and practice on a junk yard body panel ;you can probably buy for next to nothing. Don't be afraid to take it to court. Good luck . Mike

Chevy trailblazer. Guessing 25ish mph. He blew through a 4 way stop.

1. insurance companies are in the business to make money. They make money by premiums on the front end which more than cover there losses. They hire bean counters to figure this out. They make money on the back end by trying to minimize there losses..ie offering you the least they can. Another's person's insurance company has no real reason to satisfy you, you're not their customer and they will get no future premiums from you. I suspect but can't prove that the in-house insurance company appraiser (nationwide) came in high on the damage appraisal to make sure it was way above what they already assume is the Total percentage or threshold. In this way they can total the vehicle.

2. insurance companies used to go around and look in your area for similar vehicles, search the classifieds in local papers to come up with valuations. They no longer do this. Instead they hire "professional valuation companies" and pay them for a value. Needless to say if the valuation company can consistently come in low and save the insurance co money...the more business they will get.

3. Lawyers are in business to make money and not right wrongs. They will not get involved unless you are fighting for a difference of tens of thousands of dollars. They are a professional mouth piece and not your friend.

4. Tell the insurance company your vehicle is NOT safe to drive If you can't open a door, roll up a window or put on a seat belt. Try to get a loaner vehicle from the insurance company. This get's the clock ticking. The sooner you do this, the sooner they will feel financial pressure to resolve the claim.

5. Speak with a manager if the idiot in a cubical is not hearing you. Explain to them that this is a classic vehicle and valuations are all over the place and mostly based on CONDITION not mileage. Use the NADA classic car guide value. Ask for a appraisal from an independent company that is familiar with classic cars. In my case I raised concerns with the appraiser about his loyalties. The conversation went something like this: "how much business do you get from individuals wanting you to appraise a classic car? answer: none, "How much business do you get from insurance companies? answer: 100 percent. "Oh ...I see, so you've partnered up with the insurance companies to come in low for them so they keep coming back to you. Reply: NO, " I'm fair..etc etc," He got offended but in the end sent the insurance company a fair valuation.

Yup this is a great thread here and there are a couple others that have lots of information. Basically, what the insurance company has done is they have valued the expense of the repairs as more than the vehicle and so they are attempting to total and settle. Like any other negotiation, the first offer is never the best. And like @g-man says, do not give in.

Curious what type of vehicle hit you, and at approximately what speed. I'd be happy as hell to take 3600 for that.

uh...don't you mean you'll GIVE him 3600.00 for that? or buy it for 3600.00? I don't think any of us want to "take" 3600 for a running land cruiser.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice. So it turned out to be easier than I thought.

After they told me they wanted to total it for less than $3600, I sent AAA Texas a PDF with all the current SoCal FJ62 Craigslist listings. Told them I would not accept a total. They said ok we will take another look at the valuation. And came back with $8,900 and added tax to make total valuation at $9,500. The valuation was done by CCC. They asked would I accept a check for $3600 and I said yes. So there you have it. I guess I could have gone out and gotten my own estimates but their repair cost seemed about right.

Now I get to try my hand and metal work. If that fails then I have a line on a set of doors and quarter panel.. same color for $200 each.

uh...don't you mean you'll GIVE him 3600.00 for that? or buy it for 3600.00? I don't think any of us want to "take" 3600 for a running land cruiser.

No, I meant what he agreed to.

No, I meant what he agreed to.

Ok. I'm caught up. Got confused when he mentioned totaled. Yeah 3600.00 seems to be a fair amount for the damages. Way easier to replace those two doors. Yes cheaper to repair the metal but WAY easier to replace. And really, I would get a replacement outer fender. And maybe just do a little body work on the rocker.

Good save!!! Now get to work. 3600 is only enough for body work and a cover job in a shop. You could get a lot further with some elbow grease... I’d save my money for the paint...

Somewhere in this could they have totaled it and you could have bought it back?

Looks like you got a better deal. You're no pushover.....

They totaled mine and gave $13,800 is a 1990 fj62. Dont let them low ball you. They had mine originally compared to 91 and 92 I had to fight a little to make them see the 62 is not an 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom