synthetic winch rope? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.linkedin.com
18Nov2003 (UTC -7)

Howdy, I need some advice on synth winch ropes. The Warn 9500ti calls for 5/16" rope with a length of 125ft. Amsteel Blue synthetic rope of same specs has a rating of 13,700lbs.

My FZJ-80 will weigh about 6,500lbs, fully laden, and will be in very muddy/sticky situations. Should I go instead with 3/8" synth rope that is rated at 20,400lb. just for extra insurance? If yes, how long can I have it?

And lastly, ??? have you had good service/sales/prices with either of these two shops:
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm
http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-winchrope.htm

Or should I hold out for those Warn synth ropes that they announced on SEMA 2003?

Rockstomper is who I bought thru, great service from Scott.

EDIT: prices are going up on Jan 1 - Scott made a post a pirate4x4 to that effect....nice to see him look out for his customers like that!

IMO, 5/16" will be sufficient. You are still limited by your winch strength, and if you are THAT stuck, you double line anyways, giving you 27,400# of line strength. I've stalled my 8274-50 more than once with the 5/16" rope and have witnessed no problems.

I plan to run 3/8th on my hs9500i. I believe I got 100' for it. I also got a 50' extension line for added length if needed.

But like woody said 5/16th should be good. I just like 3/8th because I have busted 3/8th wire rope even in my old rig. Guess I am just hard on stuff. ;)

It is all the same stuff....Scott at Rockstomper just has the most experience with it and he sells it the cheapest from all I can tell.

Masterrape really gets you good...like 3X what Scott charges.

I have had 2 winches with this stuff and I have been running it for 2.5 years with no breakage.

I run 3/8 on my 8274, just because. I get 25' less than the spool is supposed to hold and get the added piece of mind of the thicker rope.

Cost about the same to get more diameter and less rope.

I have not found it that I need long rope rockcrawling.....when I did mud, I did 150' and had 100' extentions in the rig.

[quote author=wngrog link=board=12;threadid=7703;start=msg72752#msg72752 date=1070887494]
It is all the same stuff.......[/quote]

Yup, Rocklogic4x4 and OK Offroad get it from Scott, not sure on prices but I thought they were all the same last time I looked.

Well, if anyone is still looking, I have one Masterpull set up still available from a group purchase I'd organized (and got partially stiffed for).

It's 125' of 3/8", gray, and is set up with the hook etc. Price is $220 plus $18 to ship.

PM me if interested.

I have 5/16 95ft of Rock Stomper Rope. I had trouble with the 100ft standard wire rubbing the inside of mu tjm bumper. The rope is much lighter and doesn't sag the front down as much, oh yea, it floats on mud.

26Dec2003 (UTC -8)

Thanks for the replies gents! I went with the Rockstomper blue rope, and it was $155. Warn has a similar size rope but it costs ~$600.

[quote author=drexx link=board=12;threadid=7703;start=msg80762#msg80762 date=1072505932]
26Dec2003 (UTC -8)...Warn has a similar size rope but it costs ~$600.
[/quote]

Just read up on that new Warn stuff, it is really hi-tech but $$$...
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/synthetic_winch_rope.shtml

I think I will stick with the $150 stuff ;)

I just ordered 125 feet of amsteel rope and an aluminum fairlead.

Decided to go up in the hills today to shoot my pistols and take the cruiser out.

Got stuck in 3 feet of snow

Got out but killed my steel cable.

After talking with the folks at OKoffroad, we purchased 125'-3/8, and 50'-3/8 extension and heavy duty lock hook. Arrived two days after initial conversation and order date. Great customer service, will do buisness again.

http://www.okoffroad.com/

Good luck!

-Steve

Anyone know the capacity of a factory PTO winch? How much of what size synthetic rope? There's no cable on the winch right now.

125' of 5/16" rope should work great.

As far as the 'rated capacity' of the PTO winch goes...this will be dependent on the size of the shear pin..as per some previous discussions...

Did a search 'PTO'- 'PTO winch'- 'shear pin'-'PTO capacity'...

Going to start a new thread in tech about it...

-Steve

The original winch wire it came with "is a 8 mm (0.3") diameter steel cable of 50 meters (approx. 164 fts) long..." according to the owner's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom