synthetic winch rope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody knows who sells it in the lower mainland? NSOR doesn't...

bj70_guy said:
Anybody knows who sells it in the lower mainland? NSOR doesn't...

and if they did..they'd want an arm, 2 legs and yer left nut. :flipoff2:

Bruce should now..but I believe you can get it at marine supply stores to?

I think the brand name he first mention was called 'amsteel' or amsoil, something like that anyways..and its blue!

I did some research on it at work awhile back..its damn good stuff!

Heres a link to http://www.prairiedogparts.com/ Bruce..yer site needs work!

Jeff

Last edited:
Yep, that's the stuff. I was hoping to find it locally rather than have to bring it up from the States...
IIRC correctly Bruce got his in a big bulk buy.

Well...organize another group buy then! :D

gb

I emailed the Amsteel makers quite a while back about a 600' spool - they never returned my email and I never pursued it any further.

Anyway, I know how I am - if I get a bulk buy together, it'll be 2 years before I actually get it on my truck 'cuz it'll sit in the basement waiting for me to splice ends on it.

bj70_guy said:
'cuz it'll sit in the basement waiting for me to splice ends on it.

Hmmmm...FF axle comes to mind! :D

gb

Hey Jeff:

We've got $4000 into that website already and I figure its about perfect. Its the easiest site in the world to maintain and I hardly get any annoying calls from customers! The accountant tells me I'll be able to carry forward the losses for years and years to boot.

Peter actually bought the big roll of Amsteel Blue and we split it up. I'm pulling numbers out of my ass now but I think it was $1000US for a 660 ft roll? Splicing is dead easy but order a fid when you buy the rope.

Greg_B said:
Hmmmm...FF axle comes to mind! :D

gb

That's not actually in MY basement :D
Besides, that's only been 1.5 years - small change! I think I bought my 8274 from Shel close to 5 years ago, and only found out it works 2 days ago :rolleyes:

lowenbrau said:
Peter actually bought the big roll of Amsteel Blue and we split it up. I'm pulling numbers out of my ass now but I think it was $1000US for a 660 ft roll? Splicing is dead easy but order a fid when you buy the rope.

Did you guys get 3/8" or 5/16"?
Just looked at Rockstomper's site, they sell 3/8" for $1.82 per foot, and 5/16" for $1.27. It works out to the same price as buying their pre-made line, only it's complete, less winch hook.
Also, are you still running roller fairleads, or did you go to a hawse?

What's a fid?

Last edited:
Ahhh...do you need a pusher with the fid? I used to do the utility rope work for the Department. Braid on Braid, and would make ropes for utility and halyards on the ladders...

Everything I have read says Hawse...but no real world experience...so don't take that to the teller...

gb

Source it in Orange and I'll buy a bunch.

Ratpuke said:

I don't think they make it in Burnt Salmon...

:D

And if you're serious Charla...that is three lengths now Norm...nudge nudge...

gb

Ratpuke said:

Buck up, sister. $300 US for 100'.
big-35342-29167.gif

:cool:

Though, it really ought to be closer to pink these days. If you guys do a group buy, I'd be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom