synthetic winch line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TRFCSUX

Wasn't me
SILVER Star
Threads
Think its time to replace my old winch cable, want to buy the synthetic stuff but dont know anything about it. well except it seems kinda pricey. putting it on a 8274 and pulling a 62. A heavy 62. how big do i need ? 5/16 bigger. smaller ? Any personal experience or negative things i need to know

I went to amsteal and look for 8000 lb line that will give you the size. Then shop around. I got a good deal on eBay for my master pull line.

I'd contact WARN. They would give you the best recommendation for that winch.

Contact info is on their website.

Thanks for the info guys, i like all the pretty colors. What do you guys like on the end of this stuff. Big hook, thimble or just the little loop.

I got a thimble and don't l don't love it. It's just ok it makes it easy to real in. I would go with a hook if I did it again.

I have 125 ft of 3/8 amsteel blue with a thimble. I always use a shackle and tree saver so I prefer the thimble. I have a heavy duty hook with a clevis pin if I need a hook so I have the best of both worlds. The rated hooks with clevis are not easy to find. I picked mine up at an old hardware store in NC that had bought out a logging supply store. The hook is a bit oversized for what you normally see on a winchline but plenty of room for two loops of two ply tree saver or recover strap without getting one loop dangerously close to the tip of the hook (it's weakest point).

Most of the hooks you get with the line are not rated as high as the line.

Keep in mind the winch lines are often rated at breaking strength, while the hooks are rated for Safe Working Load (SWL) which has a built-in 4X or 5X safety factor.