Synthetic vs. Standard Cable WInch Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to see how the 'MUD' community feels about synthetic winch lines vs. standard cable winch lines.

FYI- I have recently purchased a new 125 ft. Viking 3/8" winch line and plastic roller fairleads. Recently, I was at a local off-road shop and the guy was 'bashing' synthetic line...saying that "it is only for competition" and "they don't build buildings outta that synthetic rope stuff". He stated that the avg off-roader would be better served by using the cable w/gloves for longevity and durability. YES, the synthetic line looks better and can be handled quickly and without gloves, BUT, if it frays over a rock or sharp object it's 'toast'.

I just might return my synthetic line & plastic rollers based upon this encounter. Please feel free to chime-in here w/your .02...Thanks

Last edited:
There's a recovery section????

IMHO....I'd use a synthetic line if I chose to buy it but until I have a reason, I'll stick with my wire cable.

I had my doubts about synth line. I've dragged my winch line over and around rocks and I doubt synthetic would have held up as well as the steel. I was going to stay with steel until I saw a winch line snap during a recovery that I was assisting on. There was no tension on the cable at the time, people discussing how to proceed, and the vehicle being recovered slipped back off a rock. The cable snapped and the recoil sheared off 2 saplings. I mean clean off. I ordered 150' of Amsteel blue cable the next day.

I think in a lot of cases, with proper planning, you can avoid dragging your line through the rocks. My synth. line has a 10' tree protection wrap on the end. Basically, it lets you lean the line against a large object if you have too, the winch line slides inside the synthetic sleeve to protect it against abrasion.

Yes, you have to be more careful with syn line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom