1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synthetic brake fluid turned dark

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by IdahoDoug, Mar 5, 2004.

1. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Noticed the other day that the Valvoline Synthetic brake fluid I put in the 80 has darkened. It is virtually clear when new, and I guess I'll have to change it, eh? I don't have the maintenance log to say how long it lasted, but this seems kinda short duration.

The truck hasn't been in any deep water at all since the change, so any ideas on why this would happen?

Doug

2. cary

cary

Brake fluid is hydroscopic and absorbes moisture, even from the air. It is perfectly normal for it to turn black over time as it asborbes water and becomes contaminated. FYI, for best brake component life, the fluid should be flushed once a year, but in reality once every couple of years is plenty. Also, I personally still use ATE Super Blue fluid from my old track days, it has a much higher dry and wet boiling temp than the Valvoline. In reality, either is good.

Cary

3. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

I bleeded mine last Fall with Valvoline Syn. as well and its color is also darken considerable - may be due to the fact that I overlooked the LPV (thus the mixed fluid causes color change) ?

Frank.

4. DoggieStyle

DoggieStyle

Frank. Brake fluid doesn't really mix. There is very little flow in the system when you step down unless there is aleak or you are bleeding. Body parts sag with age, brake fluid gets dark. If your body parts get dark and fall off youve lived a full life. As someone else said if youchange it once every year or 2 the car will always stop.