Swollen lower radiator hose? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - I’ve search the forums but haven’t seen this particular issue...hoping someone can provide guidance on next steps or what might be happening?

I just swapped out the filling parts with OEM water pump, hoses, thermostat, gaskets, and moved to a heavy duty clutch - again all OEM...I didn’t swap out the original radiator because it wasn’t leaking and still works just fine. Lastly, no overheating issue my temp is perfect - I’ve done multiple long trips and no leaks.

Only thing I’m concerned with is I recently noticed the lower new OEM hose swollen? Why? Is this normal or safe? Would my new water pump be too strong for the older radiator?

6E09DC6C-5E2C-4BC4-B78C-311B17D4C723.jpeg
thanks

NOT NORMAL.

lower hose feeds the water pump, hot coolant goes in the top of the rad and cools as it goes down then back into the engine.
after cooling does it return to normal?
if running engine with no rad cap does it happen?

bad cap?
headgasket issue?

NOT NORMAL.

lower hose feeds the water pump, hot coolant goes in the top of the rad and cools as it goes down then back into the engine.
after cooling does it return to normal?
if running engine with no rad cap does it happen?

bad cap?
headgasket issue?

Thx for the reply...Yes - the hose returns back to normal once I’m parked, engine is off and cools down. I haven’t ran with rad cap off - is this to burp it? Maybe an air bubble?

Agree that it is not normal. I do not think that this is an air bubble as that is the lowest point in the cooling system. I would get another lower hose and replace it. You do not want that thing to burst at the wrong time.

that is a time bomb ticking. do you think if this was from pressure build up you would be experiencing excessive coolant in the overflow tank

If you have a cooling system pressure tester, you can pump the system up to 13psi and see what the hose does. The same tester will have an attachment to check the cap. You may be able to rent one from the local auto parts place if you do not have one, although I would say it is a recommended tool for the garage.

Has nothing to do with new WP.

Your cooling system is over-pressurizing. As alluded to above, that can only happen if the HG is leaking into cooling and/or the radiator cap is malfunctioning. Lower hose is going to need replace even if new.

You need to do a HG test (check for Hydrocarbon in the coolant) and replace the Rad cap, too.

Thx for all the input everyone - I pulled the thermostat and it was stuck! Wouldn’t open even past 205 degrees...it was a new OEM part...anyways, I bought a cheap NAPA thermostat to test that opens at 180 vs 190 and OEM was definitely sticking past 205...anyways I cycled through 190 multiple times on the stove - it definitely responded better each time! So I reinstalled OEM vs the crappy NAPA one...and burped the system again...just did a 45min drive in 80 degrees weather...so far so good! No swollen hose - Ill keep driving it this week to see if it holds and report back🤷🏻‍♂️
5580F355-48C1-4359-9F36-64507D421B03.jpeg

AA6353A3-82A4-4C26-9FB5-3792440B9A9C.jpeg

I would be VERY leery of the integrity of a hose that stretched that much.

Where did you purchase the OEM Thermostat?

Has nothing to do with new WP.

Your cooling system is over-pressurizing. As alluded to above, that can only happen if the HG is leaking into cooling and/or the radiator cap is malfunctioning. Lower hose is going to need replace even if new.

You need to do a HG test (check for Hydrocarbon in the coolant) and replace the Rad cap, too.

What if the WP isn't pulling up the coolant from the radiator and pushing it through the engine? Would pressure build up to that point due to the engine heating ? Either way, the cap isn't working as it should be relieving the pressure before the hose gets to that point.

Update: been driving it all week...my temps are normal no overheating, no leaks, car drives great full AC in 90+ heat... but the hose is swelling again. No other hose swells, just the bottom one connecting to the radiator (note: I haven’t replaced the hose yet since the initial swelling - just got the replacement). I have a brand new radiator cap and my overflow tank doesn’t spill over...

Since the hose swelled initially will it always swell, untilI replace with new hose?

I did upgrade and put a heavy duty clutch fan would that do anything? Thank for the help!

Update #2: I’ve been obsessed with figuring this out (I’m sure most on MUD are like this) - Anyways, I’ve noticed my overflow has never really moved fluid...so started searching MUD found this obscure thread about overflow hose blockage.

So pulled the hose and rodded it with a hanger, then blew in it very hard...soon enough this giant crud came out!!

6EE6EC49-CC49-474B-A193-6D22D7E7F4A7.jpeg

Just drove it for about an hour and no swelling...do u think this created just enough blockage to swell the bottom hose? Should I still replace the hose?

Dr. Pimple Popper

You have the hose and it's easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom