Switzerland Trail 4/16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought we should start a trail run thread, at Matt's prodding. :) A few weeks ago I posted up on Rising Sun to get some trail conditions, here is the latest feed back. All of which has been in the last few days, so this is pretty recent. Hopefully Paul (aka Loki) will get some more intel this weekend. Hopefully these descriptions mean something to others, I have no clue. Let the planning begin and post up if you want to be trail leader.

I'll be headed that way this weekend, so I can let you know.

I was up near Sugarloaf this past weekend and the parts of Switzerland I was on were dry. Not sure about the rest.

Darn ... a week earlier or a week later and I'd be able to join in the fun :(

The part that goes from Sugarloaf down to Sunset and back up towards Gold Hill doesn't usually hold much snow except for the 100 yards right near Gold Hill road.

The part of the trail that goes west from Sugarloaf towards Peak to Peak highway has a half mile portion of north facing slope that is usually filled with snow. With several rigs, several winches and some shovels, you can frequently make it though there. I haven't been up there lately so I can't add any real up to date info.

More info

Here are a few more replies since the last post. Nothing from this past weekend.

I was up there a month or so back and had a light dusting of fresh snow and a few inches of ice under it. We hit the spur trails and I almost went off trail and had to winch back on but the guy in front of me was not so lucky and almost lost his rig. This is to show how it can change up there. Spur trails are fun but dont know any recent intel. The ice under it all made it real interesting.

the county will be doing some maintaince in the next few week on the sections up from 4 mile creek road. They will be making it a escape route for any flooding that may happen in the next few years. So that will mean they will make it drive-able for 2 wheel drive high clearance(maybe even low clearance). So If you want to see it as more of a trail. You may want to do it soon. other wise it may be more of a dirt road.

That post by RedCreeper sounds exciting - think I'll be keeping the chains in the truck!

Looks like I will heading to Salida that weekend so I won't make this trip.

I don't know if I will be able to make it, but I should know by thursday or friday. Anyway there is going to be a few fj's going on a run to left hand canyon on that same day. So if you guy's wanted to jump in with them, I am sure they wouldn't mind. Unless you guy's decide on something else, It really doesn't matter to me as long as I can get out and away from work.

Left hand canyon would be fun. I was planning to post a camping/wheeling trip up that was sometime this summer. Probably at Middle St. Vrain. Love that area.

Are you going to do the round trip with coney flats? I just looked at traildamage.com and that looks like a great time.

Are you going to do the round trip with coney flats? I just looked at traildamage.com and that looks like a great time.

Yup. Plane crash, Ironclads, Miller rock, all of it. They're all short trails, you can hit two or three a day depending on how comfortable your rig is. The camping is right on the river at St. Vrain. I was going to suggest it be put on the schedule this year, but we just talked about posting it up since it's far away and gas prices are expected to be exorbitant this summer.

Well if it works out I will go on this one, just make sure you post it up at least a month early so everyone has time to schedule it in. The lake on coney flats looks like fun.

Luke, HRO afterwards? :hmm:

I'm working on a radio deal right now. If it falls through, I will definitely be interested in a trip to HRO. The deal I'm working on now is all inclusive and has everything I want, But it's a lot of money :frown:

So this looks like all 2wd roads from the pictures. Is there anything to play on?

Looks like this is another trip that slipped through the cracks. Is anyone planning on going? I'm not going because work has been slow and I just don't have the gas money to go to Boulder. If anyone had to pull strings to get a kitchen pass, and still wants to get out, I would be in for something local. Maybe Hackett/ Longwater or Frosty park? Maybe Round mountain? I'll be checking later tonight if anyone wants to post up, or just shoot me a text.

If you want to Change the trail that is fine with me. I would drive to boulder if there was any interest but I would rather stay closer to home too. I have never been to frosty or round mountain but if you would pick a trail I would be willing to meet up.

I just noticed Frosty park is next month's trail run, so I guess we'll leave that one out. Round mountain only has one cool trail with lots of places for poser shots. I'm gonna dig around on traildamage and see what I can find.

I sure do wish we lived a little closer to Buena Vista. That's where all the good trails are. :) I looked around all the closer counties and nothing peaked my interest. I would be willing to go mess around in Round mountain just to get some more seat time in the 40. Or maybe Metberry/ Hackett. I'll check the forum in the morning around 7:30 or 8, if there's any interest, we can meet 10 AM at the Western....or we can set something up for Sunday.

I'm up for something - I'll check in the morning also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom